Question

Student
Cassie36
Message 1 of 9 (15,897 Views)

Windows 8 Factory Restore on the HP ENVY dv7 Notebook PC

I received this laptop from my friend and it had all of his information on it. Well, he did a system reset on it before giving it to me, but then used it again...pfff. Anyway, he advised me to do a factory reset on it. The directions said to go to change pc settings, general...etc, but when I chose that...clicking change pc settings didn't pull up another screen. It just went away (slid back to the right) leaving me nothing. So I saw somewhere else that said to type in recovery in the search and go from there. It opened the hp recovery system and I went from there, choosing the factory reset option.

So...it's running and stays for a long time on the "software is being installed" screen. Restarting periodically. It ended with it saying "restoration incomplete...the restoration did not complete"

it gave me the possible causes of yellow bang, some silent-install failure, found failed pininst_bbv and bbv2 and found memory dump file.

Three suggestions are checking regdev_bb, bbapps and memdump.

Then it says RegistryDevicesCheck result failed. Failed device #0. USB-IF xHCI USB host Controller. PNPDeviceID - ROOT/UOIP_BUS_DRIVER/0000
Code 31

Everything passed until it gets to the end and it says Sysprep_succeed.tag does not exist
BBVLast.cmd - CTOError.flg is detected at the end of the BBV process...
Suggest to create PIN-log and send to TWN PDC NB-PreinPM for further analysis...

The startup sceen now shows internet explorer, the google store, file explorer and desktop. All the other million apps that were on there before aren't on there.

Thennnn...I tried clicking on the internet and it says that it can't log in using the built-in administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again.

I am afraid to touch anything. Please help! Did I ruin this? I can't leave it because if it goes to the lock screen, it will show that the administrator account has been disabled.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 9 (15,880 Views)

Re: Windows 8 Factory Restore on the HP ENVY dv7 Notebook PC

Hi Cassie,

Try the following:

• Boot computer – immediately click / press F10 to get into the BIOS Manager.
  • Click on F9 to set the BIOS to factory default.\
  • Save and Exit

• Next, Redo your recovery - remember to have the wireless light "ON" during the Recovery Process.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 9 (15,876 Views)

Phone HP to order a Recovery Disc set,Usually less than $20. 1-800-474-6836

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
boornie
Message 4 of 9 (15,417 Views)

I have the same problem, also with the HP envy dv7 on windows8.  Tried the F10 & F9 boot options, still does not work.  Here is my error details:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  P2PP BurnBoot Check Failed
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Possible Causes:
    1. Yellow-Bang occured at Device Manager
    2. Some silent-install failure of applications
    3. Found failed at PININST_BBV
    4. Found failed at PININST_BBV2
    5. Found Memory Dump file
  Suggestion:
   1. Checking REGDEV_BB.LOG for drivers
   2. Checking BBApps.log for applications
   3. Checking MEMDUMP_BBV.log for memory dump file
  Note[for ODM]:  
   If you know which component failed in preinstall process   
      after checking above files, please OTS it to the component owner.
   Otherwise, suggest to contact TWN PDC NB-PreinPM or create PIN-Log and OTS it with OTS Category Image  
[RegistryDevicesCheck]
Result=FAILED

FAILED DEVICE #0:
Description  : USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller
PNPDeviceID  : ROOT\UOIP_BUS_DRIVER\0000
Code         : [31]

:

:

:

:

[C:\System.sav\Logs\BB\WLAN_I8.LOG]
Result=PASSED

[C:\System.sav\Logs\BB\Youcam.log]
Result=PASSED

[LogFiles]
NumOfLogs=98.

[DumpFile]
Result=PASSED

[WinSAT]
Result=PASSED

[16:56:35.00] Sysprep_succeeded.tag does not exist  ...
[16:56:35.00] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[16:56:35.00]  BBVLast.cmd  : [20x] CTOError.flg is detected at the end of BBV process...
[16:56:35.00]  Suggest to create PIN-log and send to TWN PDC NB-PreinPM for further analysis ...
[16:56:35.00] ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SysPrep was not launched properly...
The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal...
SysPrep was not launched properly...
The process will cause CTO panic because the image might not be normal...

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 9 (15,411 Views)

Boornie,

Was the BIOS set back to defauls?  You didn't flash an update to it before you did this, right?

If yes, you might try recovering the previous BIOS and then doing the recovery again.

Restoring the BIOS

• Boot computer – immediately click / press F10 to get into the BIOS Manager.
  • Click on F9 to set the BIOS to factory default.
  • Save and Exit
  • Redo the Recovery – remember to leave the wireless light “on” during the Recovery

Reference:

Recovery - "Detect error during PININST_BBV – Fix: Set BIOS to Factory Defaults

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR, Assuming the hardware has not flaked on you -

Cheryl is right:   You might try some new Recovery media.

Looking for Recovery Discs?

Good Luck!

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a great “Thank You” for the HP Experts who are here to help!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
boornie
Message 6 of 9 (15,377 Views)

Got my problem solved.  It was not the Bios, or the default settings on the Bios, or any memory or hard disk issues.  It was not the recovery DVDs that I made either.  It is the "USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller" driver not working properly that is causing the crash on the factory restore.  After searching through the web, a solution is posted here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/USB-IF-xHCI-USB-Host-Controller/td-p/2295497/page/2

I simply changed the date on my Bios to 2012, and everything works perfectly. 

Student
seagreen914
Message 7 of 9 (13,921 Views)

Cassie36 wrote:
I received this laptop from my friend and it had all of his information on it. Well, he did a system reset on it before giving it to me, but then used it again...pfff. Anyway, he advised me to do a factory reset on it. The directions said to go to change pc settings, general...etc, but when I chose that...clicking change pc settings didn't pull up another screen. It just went away (slid back to the right) leaving me nothing. So I saw somewhere else that said to type in recovery in the search and go from there. It opened the hp recovery system and I went from there, choosing the factory reset option.

So...it's running and stays for a long time on the "software is being installed" screen. Restarting periodically. It ended with it saying "restoration incomplete...the restoration did not complete"

it gave me the possible causes of

I NEED TO KNOW HOW CAN I RESET MY DV6 NOTEBOOK PC TO IT FACTORY SETTING

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 8 of 9 (13,898 Views)

Seagreen,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

Your personal situation is unclear - perhaps you accidentally included another's post and forgot to type in your own information?

Some of the various errors and solutions have been covered -- one thing you do need to do:

• Make sure your wireless is turned on -- set this before the recovery starts.
  • Windows 8 is sensitive and really wants to be allowed onto the network at the end of the recovery process.

You might like to start a new Recovery Post for your issue.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Brilliant Posting Advice

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
mehemmed
Message 9 of 9 (6,007 Views)

sadDASDASDAS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation