Question

Honor Student
aliceclarkson
Message 1 of 7 (15,671 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 HP Pavillion Laptop won't boot from cd?

Hello everyone,

I have a Windows 8 HP Pavillion Laptop. I've forgotten the password to my account, but I wasn't worried because I had a recovery disk. However, even with the cd in the laptop, I've directed to the login page each time. I want the cd to run instead and recover my account! I've enabled Legacy in BIOS and disable Safe Boot, and I've even changed startup order to put CD startup first. None of it's working though. Can anyone help me? I'd really like to access my laptop soon.

Thanks,

Alice

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 7 (15,657 Views)

Re: Windows 8 HP Pavillion Laptop won't boot from cd?

[ Edited ]

Immediately after powering on the laptop tap the Esc key to get a menu. Next tap F9 boot options. Use the arrow key to move down and select/highlight the CD/DVD drive then tap the Enter key.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
aliceclarkson
Message 3 of 7 (15,643 Views)

I tried that, yet when the recovery cd boots, I'm told that the system isn't found. I've tried both Windows Recovery Tool and Windows Password Key and they both tell me the same thing. Meanwhile, I'm still locked out. Is there a way around this?

Honor Student
aliceclarkson
Message 4 of 7 (15,630 Views)

Never mind, I was able to make it work by using a different recovery program. Thank you for your help.

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 7 (15,627 Views)

[ Edited ]

Good to hear. My first impulse was that the tools you were using are not compatible with Windows 8. Was actually  in process of searching for something else.:smileyhappy:

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
WTFiswithHP
Message 6 of 7 (11,945 Views)

I use the boot menu.  I select the drive. Still,  it will not boot from confirmed bootable DVD. The disk works on my other computers. They boot fine. An HP pavillion dv2000 ignores that and boots from c anyway. Aggrevating.

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 7 (11,939 Views)

@WTFiswithHP 

Perhaps the DVD drive is bad/failing in your DV2000.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation