Question

Honor Student
jwallace113
Message 1 of 6 (3,691 Views)

Windows could not complete the installation recovery error message with HP recovery discs

While doing a system recovery on an HP G72-b50US notebook using HP purchased recovery DVD's, the reboot "Welcome" screen always (tried 5 recovery attempts from scratch) generates the error message "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on theis compuiter, restart the installation". any attempt at a reboot, even into safe mode, regenerates this same error message. How does this get fixed to allow completion of the installation process?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (3,687 Views)

Re: Windows could not complete the installation recovery error message with HP recovery discs

Hi:

I go the same error and I gave up after a couple of tries. You were more persistent then me, but unfortunately, no more successful.

You can use this workaround if you want.

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to DVD's for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

Honor Student
jwallace113
Message 3 of 6 (3,683 Views)

Re: Windows could not complete the installation recovery error message with HP recovery discs

While I am willing to try this, the whole process will take a few hours, based on the download time / burn / boot, etc...

But that does not address the possbile reason for the error message generated or if there is a solution to it. I did purchase the recovery set directly from HP for the laptop. I am wondering why the discs made for the computer will not work, but an iso image burned disc will?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (3,680 Views)

[ Edited ]

I wish I could tell you.

I also used the HP factory recovery disks on an 8200 Elite CMT. I used them once before with no problem.

The second time was a show-stopper. The recovery process would ask for all 4 disks, then the recovery installation would begin, reboot continue on, everything normal.

Then on the last reboot, when the recovery program stated it was configuring windows, it just quit and stated Windows could not complete the installation.

I made sure that I had absolutely nothing connected to the PC except the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

The only thing I can possibly think of was that I installed a Radeon HD 6570 video card which I replaced the Radeon HD 6350 card with. However, both cards are supported in the PC, and I cannot remember if I did the restore with the 6350 the last time or the 6570.

Now, the reason the ISO file will work is because this is a plain and simple Microsoft Windows 7 ISO file--the very same one that you download when you purchase W7 online from the very same download site.

It is not PC-specific and will install on any PC in the world.

A recovery disk is PC-specific, and is a very complicated mish-mash of programs, drivers, operating system, all customized for your specific model PC.  Even something like installing a new hard drive or memory can foul up the works.

The downside of using the plain MS disk is the only programs and drivers you can install are the ones found on your notebook's support and driver page.

The upside of using the plain W7 installation, is you normally end up with a better performing PC, free of bloatware and unnecessary running processes.

For someone like me, it is a non-issue, but for others, they may miss some of the included software.

But that is better than having a computer that is of no value with no operating system installed, wouldn't you agree?

Paul

Honor Student
jwallace113
Message 5 of 6 (3,675 Views)

Well, as I mentioned, I'm downloading the required ISO from your links (thank you),  The download is listed as taking 2 hours so I'll be handling this until then unless anyone else has input that addresses the error message from the original post. Thanks.

Teacher
aansi
Message 6 of 6 (3,673 Views)

u can bring win7 dvd from any were and make iso image and open it with Gburner dvd ripping software and delete ei.cfg file and save the iso image and burn it.
now u can select your previous installed windows version during installation and use your product key and activate it on internet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation