Question

Honor Student
dbattaglia847
Message 1 of 8 (2,336 Views)

Won't boot off recovery disks

I have a HP G71 notebook, Prod# VM114UAR#ABA.  I got the dreaded blue screen the other day so called HP support.  They suggested I order the recovery disks and that that would clear up the problem.  So I did.  I received them, but my laptop still won't boot up.  It gets so far and then *poof* here comes the blue screen again.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (2,330 Views)

Re: Won't boot off recovery disks

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.  Also, post the full version of Windows you are trying to install ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
dbattaglia847
Message 3 of 8 (2,322 Views)

The disk test and the memory test come back with no errors.  I'm running windows 7 64 bit.  When I try the recovery disks, it gets part way thru the first disk, anywhere from 3% to 20% then the blue screen comes back.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 8 (2,318 Views)

Hi,

Did you have any problems with the notebook before the first bluescreen event?

Was the notebook able to boot after this event?

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
hollie5190
Message 5 of 8 (2,314 Views)

Hi I'm having a similar problem and I tried to do the diagnostic on the Harddrive but it said Hard Disk Not Exist.... my computer wont boot up at all. I can go to the startup menu but thats about as far as it goes. I can access each option for that but I can never fully boot up the computer and my Windows 7 disk wont even read.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 8 (2,312 Views)

[ Edited ]

@hollie5190,

First of all, try a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for a full minute.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if the notebook will start.

If you still get the same error, follow the procedure on the link below to create a bootable Ubuntu CD and follow the steps in Part 3 to 'Try it' - this option will run Ubuntu from the CD without the need to install on your HDD.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Let me know the results.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
hollie5190
Message 7 of 8 (2,256 Views)

Ok I did that and it works!! But my concern is the files from the harddrive. I just want them. See, we got a new cat and he decided to knock down a glass of water while I was away for not even 2 minutes and I took the harddrive out and saw a small maybe nickle sized area where the water had hit it and wiped it off, which is why my HD is messed up now. So now is there any way I can get my files off the HD? Or are they lost forever :smileysad:

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 8 (2,231 Views)

Hi,

There are companies that specialize in retrieving data from Hard Drives, but this is an expensive process.

Have you tried re-fitting the HDD into the notebook?  If you haven't, it's worth just checking to see if it's detected at all.

Another option is to try fitting the HDD into an external caddy and then connect this to another PC to see if the drive is detected.

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation