black screen with no cursor or bios available (2015 Views)
Top Student
fixer391
Message 1 of 7 (2,015 Views)
Accepted Solution

black screen with no cursor or bios available

I have a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop that seems to power up okay but has a black screen with no cursor.  The fan runs for a few seconds and blinking lights show near the cap lock button and on the upper right of the keyboad.  I pulled the hard drive and tested it ok and tried moving the memory around with no luck.  I also tried the reset trick by turning off and holding the power switch for one minute.  I searched this forum and anyplace on the internet that I could find and all I could gather was that this is no uncommon but nobody seemed to have an answer.   Could the cmos battery cause this ?  I always have a a battery available to check but this is a differant style and I will have to order one.  This computer is about two years old and running Vista.

Grad Student
3baller
Message 2 of 7 (2,005 Views)

Re: black screen with no cursor or bios available

I would suggest trying the suggestions in the following link which will also give you the blink codes for the error you are seeing:

Troubleshooting when a PC doesn't power or boot

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443371&cc=ad&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

Blink Code Errors

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01732674&lc=en&cc=ad&dlc=en

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
Top Student
fixer391
Message 3 of 7 (1,999 Views)

It appears to be a graphics problem but will check all items from the beginning.  Can you tell me if the graphics card is seperate or is it part of the motherboard.  I never disassembled a laptop before but it looks like the time has come Thank you and will post when results are known.

Grad Student
3baller
Message 4 of 7 (1,994 Views)

We actually do not consider our graphics cards customer replaceable parts.  I would not suggest that you try to do this it could be more trouble than it's worth.  That doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be done depending on the unit I just don't suggest that you try.

I am an HP employee.
Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 7 (1,992 Views)

The service here has been used by several members who reported excellent service & results:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DV7-DV-7-Laptop-No-Video-REPAIR-Black-White-screen-/250810360316?pt=LH_De...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
fixer391
Message 6 of 7 (1,974 Views)

Thank you at least the problem looks to be found.
Grad Student
davezorz
Message 7 of 7 (1,957 Views)

[ Edited ]

Never mind! Looks like you guys have it figured out.