boot device not found, hard disk not exist.... does that mean my computer is dead? (30507 Views)
Honor Student
jonferris24
Message 1 of 8 (30,507 Views)
Accepted Solution

boot device not found, hard disk not exist.... does that mean my computer is dead?

Suspecting that Im in a world of hurt here. I tried turning on my computer and it says "boot device not found" - run in test failed... when I hit F4 and run a hard disk test it says "hard disk not exist". The memory test passes, but under the boot device not found it says in blue "please install an operating system on your hard disk"... and to make matters worse it's making some funny noises when it tries to boot.

Is there any hope at all that this computer will work again? Is there any chance that any of the things I had on my hard disk can be recovered?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (30,500 Views)

Re: boot device not found, hard disk not exist.... does that mean my computer is dead?

Hi:

More than likely you can expect the worst.

The hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

Most likely the data will be unrecoverable but you can purchase a notebook USB hard drive enclosure, and at least try. It will cost you around $15.00 for one of those.

What you do is remove the drive from the PC and insert it into the enclosure, plug it in a USB port and see if the PC can read the disk.

Since you have provided no information regarding your notebook, I cannot tell you whether or not you need an IDE to USB enclosure or a SATA to USB enclosure.

Then you will need a new hard drive and you will need recovery disks to reinstall the operating system if they are available or you will need to purchase a new operating system if they are not.

Paul

Honor Student
jonferris24
Message 3 of 8 (30,498 Views)

Re: boot device not found, hard disk not exist.... does that mean my computer is dead?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. It's an HP Pavilion Dv5 and I'm fairly sure I know what needs to be done in regard to using the caddy to at least attempt to get anything off the old hard disk. That is at least how to take the hard disk out and all that... I've never actually used a caddy before, though. Not sure if they differ much in quality or if they are all fairly functional.

Fairly happy I backed up all my files three months ago. There are a few ones that will be a pain in the neck to replace, but for the most part, even if it doesn't work... I won't lose TOOOO much.

Other than that, would you assume that the computer is generally fine? Meaning I could potentially just take another hard disk in, re-run windows startup and it should work fine?

Thanks for any help.

Jonathan

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (30,495 Views)

You're very welcome, Jonathan.

dv5 still isn't enough info for me to provide the service manual (in case there are differerent ones for the different dv5 models).

However here is the link to the service manual I randomly pulled.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01550108/c01550108.pdf

Assume it is safe to say all dv5 models come with SATA notebook drives.

So, if you want to spring for $15, you can get this enclosure which apparently has very good reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182138

From what you are describing (noise and stuff), I would say you don't have much of a chance to recover data but that is up to you if you want to try the enclosure or not.

Here is what I recommend:

Yank the hard drive, and power on the notebook.

If the odd noise you heard is gone, then you can pretty much safely assume the drive was the cause, and that replacing the drive, and reinstalling the operating system will solve the issue.

If the noise is still there, then there could be another issue, and it might be risky throwing good money after bad.

Paul

Honor Student
jonferris24
Message 5 of 8 (30,490 Views)

Again... much appreciated.

I¨ll give it a go this weekend when I have a chance to sit down and look closely at everything. I was leaning towards buying a new laptop soon, anyway, so the actual laptop is lesser value to me, than the hard drive. Unfortunately, I kind of suspect you're bang on the money in your assumption, but it's well worth having a closer look, anyway.

Cheers for all the help and have a good weekend.

Regards

Jonathan

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (30,485 Views)

You're very welcome, Jonathan.

You have a great weekend too!

Cheers,

Paul

Student
williamxim
Message 7 of 8 (27,246 Views)

hey there peoples

Ive had the same problem before, and had to get my harddrive replaced courtesy of the store owner who says they returned the old one to HP an returned the new one to me. But just like a while ago i had the same problem where it says hard drive not exist. I was just using the pc regularly, had a web browser open, then all of a sudden it slows down and the a blue screen comes on with a buncha words, it went too fast to read then it said not bootable device, and we all know what happens after that, but lucky me i restarted the laptop and it worked well again. What is the actual cause of this? what can i do to prevent it? any thing else needed to know about this case? thanks in advance guys, cheers! =)

P.S the stupid people at the store i bought it from returned the hard disk housing case with the old one, so rite now i put the hard disk in by itself without the case. could this affect it also? is there anything i can use as a substitue for the housing?

Student
luannathena
Message 8 of 8 (26,097 Views)

Does anyone know what to tell me to do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation