Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,   I don't know the bios password of my notebook. -Compaq 8510P -SN CNU8083MW2 -PN RQ555AV

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello SanfordHouse...

I'm sorry you're having this problem with your 8510p.

You can find instructions to reset the password in the Maintenance and Service Guide.  If you are comfortable following these steps, here's what you can do:

1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.
  2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.
  3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet and then unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.
  4. Remove the battery (see Battery on page 50).
  5. Remove the real-time clock (RTC) battery (see RTC battery on page 80).
  6. Wait approximately 5 minutes.
  7. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.
  8. Connect AC power to the computer. Do not reinsert any batteries at this time.
  9. Turn on the computer.
  10. All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared.

If you're not comfortable following these steps, contact HP Support for your country / region and they can assist you in getting the laptop serviced.

Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the Kudos star!
HP Recommended

i also have a hp compaq 8510p with the bios password.  i did that steps it does reset the time and date only but not the password

HP Recommended

Unfortunately i was not able to reset the password.  I will just scrap the computer.  Now I remember why i prefer dell notebooks.  this is a nightmare to work on.

HP Recommended

there is a step missing

After you remove the BIOS battery (or pull out the plug on the motherboard) you have to remove the RAM memory modules.

Plug in the adapter and boot the system without memory. Shut down the computer by a hard shutdown and plug in the BIOS battery and the RAM modules.

You can now enter the BIOS menu by pressing F10

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.