Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I got a message on my HP laptop saying cooling fan not operating properly and indicating system fan 90B. It also advised me to go to hp.com.go/techcenter/startup to trouble shoot the problem. I tried pressing f10 but this wouldn't work. How can I recover laptop?? THANK YOU

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately, the most likey cause is a hardware failure which will usually mean getting the fan assembly replaced.

I would suggest getting a can of compressed air and try cleaning out all the air vents, particularly those around the fan as this can sometimes resolve the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Forgot to add the screen tells you  you only have 15 seconds before it will shut down so it is hard to try to do anythin

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately, the most likey cause is a hardware failure which will usually mean getting the fan assembly replaced.

I would suggest getting a can of compressed air and try cleaning out all the air vents, particularly those around the fan as this can sometimes resolve the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for fdbk. I just talked to HP and we are under the warranty so we can send back to get fixed for free.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and that's really good to hear :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

hello ...

i have a problem > any one help me plase ?

I got a message on my HP laptop saying cooling fan not operating properly and indicating system fan( 90B ). It also advised me to go to hp.com.go/techcenter/startup to trouble shoot the problem. I tried pressing f10 but this wouldn't work. How can I recover laptop...?

THANK YOU

HP Recommended

Hello paviliong_6,

I understand that you are getting an error that the cooling fan is not working.

Clean the vents on the laptop with a can of compressed air.

Sometimes as dust builds up in the system it can cause the fan to stick and give the error.

If the compressed air does not get the fan spinning, stick something small into the vent and try to spin the fan while it is on.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

You may need to replace the fan.

Please post your product and model number.

You can find this information by holding the FN key and pressing the ESC key.

I should be able to link you to your service manual that will walk you through the steps to replace the fan.

Let me know how everything goes.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

cooling fan not operating properly--system fan 90B please help me in solving this problem.

HP Recommended

To all on this forum.  I had this problem for a long time and did all that was suggested here but it did not work until I also did a system restore.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.