Question

Honor Student
ktbec34
Message 1 of 4 (1,713 Views)

having startup prob. on my compaq laptop, failed start. up test with hard disk failure help?

I have a  compaq presario, CQ70-120US , with windows vista

I haven't made any changes to it,  I took it to my mothers over the holidays and it was working fine.  Like an idiot, i was impatient during a shut down and did a hard kill cause wanted to turn back on to do something else.  After the hard kill i turned back on and it went to black screen ,  then a blue screen with curser, then eventually gave an error box saying Loadkey failed 999.

so after trying the hitting f10 at startup and doing hard disk test (which failed) 

memory test passed

then did f8 to start in safe mode and that ran almost all day with no success

last thing i tried was hitting f2 at startup and running the start up test,   again memory test passed, then i get this 

" startup test failed

hard disk 1 quick  (303)

so not sure what to do at this point.   i have no recovery disks but if need be i will order them, but wanted to know if this was fixable without doing that before i go that route.

This computer was given to me and within one week i messed it up.   go figure

Please help if you can, thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help

Katie

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (1,712 Views)

Re: having startup prob. on my compaq laptop, failed start. up test with hard disk failure help?

Hi,

Please try last resource, do a HDD self test:

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep tapping the F10 key when the HP logo appears. This will take you to Bios Setup Utility.
3. Select the Diagnostic tab.
4. Select the "hard drive self test" option and press enter to perform the test.
Note: This test takes at least 40 minutes.

Pass - The hard drive is not damaged.
Fail - the hard drive is damaged and may need to be replaced.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
ktbec34
Message 3 of 4 (1,711 Views)

Re: having startup prob. on my compaq laptop, failed start. up test with hard disk failure help?

thanks for the quick response, I have already done that and it said failed but while i was at my mothers i connected to their internet network wirelessly and they have been working on their computer b/c something happened to it, so do you think that could be what harmed my computer? it was working perfectly fine up until i connected to their network. Also , if you dont mind, can you tell me what things can cause a hard drive to go out? thanks again for your help
Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 4 (1,704 Views)

Hi,

HDD is a mechanical part which can fail any time even very simple shock (electrical shock or mechanical shock). It can fail during read/write process, moving machine from one spot to other, it can fail when start/stop, power failure even in millisecond ... There are many causes and sometimes just bad luck.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation