Question

Honor Student
Jlee123
Message 1 of 4 (2,159 Views)

how do i set my computer back to factory settings aka do a destructive recovery?

So here's the situation. I currently have a bunch of viruses on my computer that always come back after I delete it with an antivirus. So I wanted to do a destructive recovery and wipe out all my information and have the computer back to its factory settings. However, after many attempts I could not do a system recovery because I did not make a back up CD and my computer does not have HP Recovery partition. So nothing happens when I press f11 at the startup. What should I do? Much help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

product: Elitebook 6930p

Windows Vista Home Basic

If you need s/n or p/n, just ask and I'll post it as well.

Thank you!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 4 (2,156 Views)

Re: how do i set my computer back to factory settings aka do a destructive recovery?

Hi,

If you can still boot in to Windows, hold down the Windows Key and press R.  Into the Run Box type compmgmt.msc and hit enter.  Click Disk Management in the left pane and when the partitions have loaded, do you see a Recovery Partition listed?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Jlee123
Message 3 of 4 (2,152 Views)

Re: how do i set my computer back to factory settings aka do a destructive recovery?

1.jpg

This is all that shows. So I guess I do not have Recovery Partition as well.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 4 (2,147 Views)

Hi,

I won't be able to see the image until it's been approved by a moderator.

However if the partition is missing, you can order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below and use these to reinstall Vista.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation