Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp2000-2b19wm notebook pc
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

puppy unplugged during bios update bios was f10 i have tried everything except a bootable usb flash drv with hp tools softpac as they call it. Were can i download a bios or hp tools and how do i make it bootable as i have a black screen and two blinks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello,

You can check this site for information on your error: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674#AbT2

Here is the text:

If a BIOS corruption error occurs (Blink code 2), you may not even notice the blink codes, because as soon as the computer recognizes the error, it restarts, attempts to recover the BIOS, and then restarts again. You may notice an extra-long startup process as a result, and a message indicating that the BIOS has been recovered may display on startup. If this occurs, update the BIOS on the computer. For more information, see Updating the BIOS.
If the computer does not automatically recover the BIOS, manually perform a BIOS recovery by following these steps:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Plug the notebook into power using the power adapter.
  3. While the computer is still off:
    1. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold down the Power button on the notebook for one second.
    2. Release the Power button and the keys.
By following these steps the BIOS will reach the EFI partition in order to recover the BIOS to the last known good version of the BIOS from the hard drive.
For information on how to restore the BIOS refer to the HP support document: HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS.
-Chris

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

Hello lrmorgan... I'm sorry you're having this issue with your hp 2000-2b19wm !

The following might help you:

1. Go to http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/pcdiags and download the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics 3-in-1 USB Key SoftPAQ.
  2. Run the SoftPAQ to create the key (it takes a little while, be patient).
  3. Power down the failing unit.
  4. Insert the key directly into the failing unit (no USB hub, port expanders, etc. allowed).
  5. Power on the failing unit.

If your system is supported and if it is recoverable, you should go through the BIOS recovery process!

You can also kick this process off manually.  For more information, refer to the README_Restart.txt file that is on the 3-in-1 key.

I hope this helps.  Good luck, and please let us know what happens!

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!

HP Recommended

The process in this document saved my bacon more than once. In some cases it took me ten times to before it worked.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-2000-2b00-Notebook-PC-series/5296210/document/c02693833/

I know this isn't a USB remote solution, but it might just get it if you haven't tried it.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

allready tried all of that several times and all this started when it was 1 wek out of warranty and hp wanted 200 bucks to fix it thats all i paid for it so now i have a envy 17 with an intell but i really like amd is there any way or anywhere i can download something to flash a new bios as this shouldnt be much different than flashing files in a motorcycle or automobile this is the 1st one i have failed at so now i know why they say DO NOT unplug during this process

thanks ???

HP Recommended

Hello lrmorgan...

It's not clear to me - did you try the steps with the 3-in-1 diagnostics key that I posted above?

Also, can you confirm that the hp2000 is the failing unitl and not the Envy 17?

thx...

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the "thumbs up" icon to give me Kudos!
HP Recommended

i made the key but it wouldnt boot from it it blinked the light on my drive a few mins but never did anything else i wonder wat a motherboard woul cost me  i was trying to make a cd but dont have a blank one so its off to wallmart

HP Recommended

The key is not bootable for BIOS recovery - you just power on the system.  You can refer to the README_Restart.txt file in the root of the key for more information.  Try it with another key jsut to be safe - some keys don't adhere to USB specs and standards very well.  If it still doesn't recover the BIOS, the system is not recoverable via crisis recovery - it could possibly be a corrupted BIOS boot block, or something worse.

BIOS recovery is not supported from optical media.

I can't advise you on price - http://partsurfer.hp.com does not stock these boards any more.  While HP can't support or endorse this, you might go to PartSurfer and input your serial number to get the part number for your specific board - there's two of 'em that I see.  Then, a quick Google shows multiple suppliers and prices at what seem to be good prices.  Buyer beware!

Good luck...

HP Recommended

Bios problem resolved

I fixed mine although not any one exact instructions listed here worked....but i got it to work my way ......then spent hours  typing in here to have it not auto save......if You would like to fix Yours hit me up then hopefully I will be able to help and you could type out instructions for others ......there is about 10-12 steps that worked for me......but hours of typing and explaing how i got  to those steps was wasted and i am pissed.....anyways mine works now.....I may be able to help you?

Dave

HP Recommended

Dave, did you have a list of what you did to correct this and fix the corrupt bios? I dont see it, maybe hp deleted it.

Can you post it again here or can I get your email address and email you directly about it?

I think it would be a very good thing to hear what you did and allow all the others with the same problem be able to perhaps fix it on their hp 2000

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.