Question

Top Student
damidara
Message 1 of 9 (1,281 Views)
Accepted Solution

non-system disk or disk error

Hi,

i have a hp 620 notebook, and it is given me an error message "non-system disk or disk error" after i turned it on. it had worked find in the morning and now it is displaying this error message and i cannot log into my notebook. i tried to recover it with hp recovery but it said "data is not valid. please what can i do. PLEASE.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 9 (1,271 Views)

Re: non-system disk or disk error

Hi:

If you have windows 7 and can read the product key, you can make your own windows 7 installation DVD.

Here's how:

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 9 (1,261 Views)

Enter BIOS setup by tapping/holding the F10 key immediately after powering on the laptop.Use Diagnostics to test your hdd.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
damidara
Message 4 of 9 (1,254 Views)

I have done the hdd test and it passed it. Thank you
Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 9 (1,231 Views)

What OS are you running? If it is Windows 7 try Paul's tip above.

Are you using Recovery Disks to reinstall or trying to use Recovery from the hdd partition?

If you are using hdd partition or user burned disks, call HP to request a factory set.Choose your country here>> Contact HP

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
damidara
Message 6 of 9 (1,145 Views)

Thanks a lot,it worked

Student
MuraliR
Message 7 of 9 (785 Views)

OS is Windows XP SP3 .  We have McAfee Endpoint Encryption - SafeBoot on this HP EliteBook 8440p laptop. Displays non-system disk or disk error, press any key when ready.  System Diagnostics - F4 Hard Disk Test fails with message 'Hard Disk Test Failed'  , 'Disk not Installed' , for more info goto www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Please let me know resolution asap.  The data in the HDD need to be recovered asap.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 9 (778 Views)

Hi:

Those errors means the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

Most likely the data on the hard drive is not recoverable.

You can try to recover the data by purchasing a SATA to USB external notebook hard drive enclosure, remove the hard drive from the notebook and place it in the enclosure, plug the enclosure into another PC's USB port, and see if you can copy the data from the bad drive onto the PC's hard drive.

An example of what I am referring to is at the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817349001

Student
Madhurisaindane
Message 9 of 9 (38 Views)

I am having the same error. I am using EliteBook 2530P...it shows hard disk test failed..please help
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation