Question

Honor Student
bilgram
Message 1 of 34 (33,919 Views)
Accepted Solution

"BOOTMGR is missing"

Please Help Me !

My Laptop crashed a week ago and I have had no luck in getting it back up.I tried a system restore then a system recovery from the hard drive partition to no avail I reset the Bios to Default and now when I try to boot up all I get is a message : "BOOTMGR is missing". I have tried to use the Recovery discs I created when I purchased it but when it gets to 83% it it gives me the error below :

"Recovery Manager could not restore your computer.  Please contact HP support.  Error code: 0xe0f00013"

I tried to restore it 3-4 times, every time the result was the same.

I  ran HD self test,  which doesnt show any problem with my HD

My Laptop :  HP G60t-500 Notebook PC ,  Windows 7 64 bit

Purchased 12/2008

All help is very appreciated

Thanks in advance

Bill

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 34 (33,917 Views)

Re: "BOOTMGR is missing"

Hi Bill,

As you have Windows 7, there is a simple work around if you have ( or can borrow ) a retail Windows 7 installation disc that is exactly the same version as your OEM installation - ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need.

If you don't have access to a retail disc, you can create an installation disc yourself - just download the correct Disc Image from the link below and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link...

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the underside of your notebook when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers you may need can be found Here.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
bilgram
Message 3 of 34 (33,799 Views)

Hi David,

Sorry I am just now getting back to you to reply as I have been so very busy since I was able to recover my Laptop on Sunday.  IT WORKED, YOU ARE THE MAN my friend:smileyhappy:! Without your very kind help I could have been lost.

I didn’t have to use the Phone Method you outlined as once I put in my Product Key it activated and I was up and running. It is people like you who renews my faith in the Computer and Internet  Community who don’t ask anything in return  for exchanging their knowledge to help someone in need. So Great to know you and others are out there, not just the ones who like to keep you down unless they get reimbursement. They might as well get a job with the Computer Manufacturers who just wants to make more money from you to answer a simple question once your warranty runs out , as was in my case.

You see I am a Professional Photographer and am involved with the Help Portrait Community which volunteers their time each year on December the 10th to bring to the Homeless and Underprivileged Families and Children a Portrait Session across the Globe to get a Free Professional Portrait which they may have never been able to have. I Tether My Camera Shots Directly to my Laptop into Photoshop so My Printing Assistant will be able to do any post work and Print the Pics. So you see without it, would have been much trouble as everything is donated or loaned and I had already made the commitment of the Loan and we are as of this posting 3 Laptops short for 6 Studios and this would have made it 4. So with your unselfish Help David, you join us in this Wonderful Cause of Giving Back. I can’t begin to thank you enough my friend.

Please find a couple Links to my Websites and a Link to a Help Portrait Video Which I hope you will find the time to have a look at and if ever you have any need for any of My Services or might just like a Print of any of my Artwork please email me and it will be my pleasure to abide you. Once again Thank You So Very Much and Best Wishes for You and Yours This Holiday Season.

Your friend:smileywink:

Bill

http://www.graamphotography.com/

http://william-graam.artistwebsites.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-60fyF6KvHk&feature=player_embedded#!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 34 (33,790 Views)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for replying and it was a pleasure to help :smileyhappy:

I think what you're doing is a great idea and I certainly will take the time to look through the links you've provided.

Best regards,

David

Honor Student
bilgram
Message 5 of 34 (33,539 Views)

Hi David,

Hope you had a wonderful Xmas and a Happy New Year ! Once again I want to thank you for your help, but now I need a little more my friend ! 

Since I have been back up and running I started to get a window message that would keep popping up. It said my Hard Disc was BAD and I should Backup all important data first and contact the Administrator for help with repairing or replacing the Hard Disc. I ignored this as I had no important data on the Laptop at the time and it functioned just fine. I would just close the window. It started to pop up more and more I ran a test on it as the window had suggested and once finished I looked at the details and all in all it said Bad Hard Disc. A few days ago after booting up once on the Desktop it would just sit there and keep thinking, I could not move the mouse pointer even to shut it down so I had to shut it down Hard by holding the power button down. I would reboot several times with no change. The last time I Shut Down and went to power up al,l i get is a Black Screen. I have replaced the Had Drive and the same thing happens. the Power Light comes on but nothing on the Screen Just Black. Any help on this would be so much appreciated as I am totally baffled now.

Thanks so much in advance David and have a great one.

Bill

Tutor
SolvayTony
Message 6 of 34 (33,504 Views)

Thanks, David for the fix. I've had the exact same problem and this solution worked!!!

Tutor
hotstepa
Message 7 of 34 (32,594 Views)

Re: "BOOTMGR is missing" - HELP!

My husband's laptop  is giving the same BOOTMGR is missing message.  He has a lot of stuff on the computer.  Recovery utility does ot work, neither does the system restore.  The utility to back up files does not work.  I am hoping what I read here will assist me.  However, will the programs/files on the computer be erased when this install takes place? 

Student
DCCanada
Message 8 of 34 (29,465 Views)

Hi there,

I've experienced the same problem with my HP Pavillion dv5-1118ca laptop, except it runs (ran!) Vista 32 bit.  My laptop didn't come with a Windows operating disc and so I've been struggling to find one that I can use to perform start-up repair. 

Do you have a similar link to a downloadable version of Vista 32 bit?

Many thanks!

Darren

Tutor
hotstepa
Message 9 of 34 (29,458 Views)

What I did was to take the drive out of the laptop and copy the stuff off of the drive with the use of a certain cable (cant remember the name but can check my files).  Drive was returned to the laptop and I was able to reformat the drive to its original factory condition.  I had to get the stuff off first before going this step.  It is a pity that  disks no longer come with the laptop.  Have you tried to reformat your drive ?  I think that is the only way you will be able to go.  You will lose everything (unless you do like I did prior to reformating).

Let me know.

Best

Sonja

Provost
DavidPK
Message 10 of 34 (29,403 Views)

Hi,

You can create a retail Windows Vista installation disc as detailed below - this will give you access to the 'Repair' features you require.

It's also worth noting that if you can still read the 25 Character Product Activation Key on your COA label, you can also use this disc to reinstall Vista if you don't have Recovery Discs.

A full description ( including links to the Vista Image downloads ) of how to create a Retail Vista installation disc can be found on the following link.  You must use the Image that is the exact same version of Vista that your notebook/PC came with.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-vi...

Regards,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation