Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Getting same error.Not solved by Default bios setting process. Please suggest me another effective solution. I complaint at hp and they will send a engineer for this.
HP Recommended
Getting same error. Not solved by Default bios setting process. Please suggest me another effective solution. I complaint at hp and they will send a engineer for this.
HP Recommended

Did you buy Windows 8 builder issue ?

what verson of windows 8 did you install if you through away your HP recovery media ?

HP Recommended

I am having this problem as well and nothing done seems to work. I am overseas on military assignment and this has not been working since I received it. If I send back to the US it will be weeks before I get it back (if it isn't stolen in shipment). Any other suggestions? Where can I get a "clean" copy of Windows 8?

HP Recommended

I have went through this sevral times .

start computer press ESC go to Bios settings in the boot menue turn off safeboot and save and exit restart the computer it will ask you to enter a number to turn safeboot off then enter the # shown on the screen and prerss enter and let it try to start then it will fail turn off and back on pressing ESC and reenter Bios and go to reset bios to facotry setting and save and exit then restart and press F11 to enter the recovery menue seclect restore pc to factorey this will reformat the hard drive and reinstall the factory image let it reinstall the image with out interupting it it will takeabout 3-4 hours  after it compleats it should work sorry about the grammer

HP Recommended

So after reading all through the forums trying different methods, and spending 2 full days  running 8 recoveries. The recovery finally went through. My solution was to enable Legacy support in bios. After speaking with an in-home technician he confirmed that secure boot needs to be disabled and Legacy boot needs to be enabled and then switch back to bios defaults after recovery completes. Secure boot was already disabled in BIOS but Legacy was not enabled.  Enabled it and ran the full factory reset, not minimied image recovery.   I dont know know if this helps those having the same issue with Solid State drives which i dont have but I just wanted to post my results and let yall know.  If HP wont help us we have to help each other right?  This is what worked for me.  Good luck. 

HP Recommended

i'm having the same issue here, but its weird because I had to recover once before and it somehow worked but it did give me this error a couple of times. I dont remember what i did to fix it... but now no matter what i try, i just cant recover successfully.

I don't have the original HDD my HP Envy touchsmart M7-j010dx came with. That one crashed last time and I replaced it with a brand new samsung ssd and i was able to succesfully recover on it. I'm still using the same ssd now but no luck with recovery. I'm out of warranty and Im about to go CRAZY after attempting to recover 49358023 times. is it really that hard to use an SSD with HP?!? 

HP Recommended

I'm also having this issue and it's not getting fixed any way I try it 😞

I replaced the HD in this laptop by a Samsung 240gb ssd. I orderd the recovery media usb stick and any way I try to install it, I get this "PININST_BBV" error.

I called HP support and they don't want to help me because I modified the hardward by changing the HD to SSD. Their (installation) software only supports the original hardware, which is utter crap if you ask me!

They also did not want to tell me what this error was or how to solve it. All I got was "I can't help you, company policy" excuses.

So now I have a brand new laptop, a brand new SSD drive, the recovery USB stick (all paid for) and can't even get windows to install on it.

Nevermind getting an installation cd from someone or from the shop because there isn't even a cd drive.. ok, I could buy one but that only will increase the cost without knowing if it will help either.. A very unhappy HP customer who is considering never to buy anything from HP ever again.

HP Recommended

I have installed my third drive on my Envy.  I have had 3 recovery USB Drives sent from HP.  None of them have worked so far.  I get these errors

Detect some error during PINIST_BBV.

Check C:\system.sav\lops\BurnBootWarn.log

or, check C:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootMerge.log

I tried resetting to defaults in Boot Partiion and that didn't help either. 

I did a test of memory and hard drive.  All is fine. 

HP doesn't know of course.  They told me it was the hard drive.  Process of elimination took care of that.

I will tell you when I installed my USB with Windows 8.1 pro all went in okay.  So if that works then something is wrong with the recovery drives they send.  Am still working on the problem.  Will let you know if I get it.

HP Recommended

I tried what you suggested.  Didn't work for me.  So I just keep trying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.