Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I agree with you.  The install from my windows usb 8.1pro drive goes in just fine.  So I will probably just do that.

I installed the beta version of Windows 10 and HP told me it did something to the bios on my Envy Note.  How can that be when I can install 8.1 pro with my usb drive and no problems.

HP doesn't know either.  I have always purchased HP but I think my next computer is going to be from a different manufacturer.

HP Recommended

I had similar problems restoring an HP Envy about 6 months ago.

From my experience the HP Recovery Media was a complete waste of time (and in my case money) and is unlikely to resolve the problem for you.  I took the disk out of my Envy after a failed recovery attempt and had a poke around around. It looked to me like the HP recovery fails because it found a fault somewhere in one of the components of the laptop. In my case, it looked like the fingerpring reader had failed whether it was software or hardware I never found out, but that was stopping the recovery completing even though it had done all the hard work by then.

The solution for me was to ditch the HP Recovery media, download a Windows 8 ISO and install that, which worked fine, even picked up the windows key automatically. For more details and a link to the ISO see the post.

'Restoration Fails with HP recovery disk. Will ordinary retail copy of WIn8 install OK?'

Hope it works for you too.

As a Coda to the story, the laptop failed again with a corrupt disk error a month or so ago. The disk itself was fine but needed a reformat, not sure what the cause was but suspect windows crashed and left the disk in a corrupt state.

I've since ditched Windows and installed Ubuntu and been happily using that since.

HP Recommended
I finally got HP to replace the laptop since I had owned it only for a few weeks when everything occurred. I am very leery now so am being cautious. It takes forever to get it back to where I have everything on it again. Hopefully I won't run into this problem with the new one.
HP Recommended

I purchased recovery media from HP also for an HP 2000 and after nearly a dozen attempts I continue to end up with the same error message;

"The recovery attempt has failed. Select one of the following buttons:

Save log - Details - Retry

[13:49:53.86] ChkErrBB.CMD : Detect some error during PININST_BBV.

[13:49:53.94] ChkErrBB.CMD : Check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootWarn.log

[13:49:53.94] ChkErrBB.CMD : or, check c:\system.sav\logs\BurnBootMerge.log"

Selecting save log prompts for you to insert an USB drive which basically shows the same message as above. Details, the same message.

Retry asks to insert recovery media which after doing causes the computer to reboot and start recovery all over again.

After doing this loop I decided to use my Acronis Disk Director bootable CD to look at the hard drive with the hopes that I might be able to correct any problems. What I found were four partitions, the first (401MB) and fourth (385GB) were both unallocated.

The second partition (260MB, FAT32) was an EFI boot partition and the third partition (80GB, NTFS) a Windows "Templet" as it had all the normal folders you would find in a basic Windows partition but no files in the folders. I could not edit any files however because BCDEdit requires a working windows environment. Since there was no Windows to boot to it appears that the recovery disks do not do a typical recovery, at least like I'm used to.

I think HP has really screwed up by not including recovery DVD's for every PC. There have been times, like this one, where the hard drive had basically become nothing more than a paper weight and starting recovery from the hidden recovery partition was not possible. The whole idea, after all, is that should anything happen to your hdd you can still recover the OS even if you switch out hdd's.

The majority of people do not do regular backups and most don't even know they can make their own recovery DVD’s with software that is loaded by the OEM, mostly because people don't read the user guides past how to start the computer, which is all they are interested in.

Anyhow, I looked on the HP forum and have found a multitude of answers; setting the date to 2012, loading the BIOS with default settings, closing the error message box (in my case there is no way to close it), disable secure boot, enable legacy boot, etc., none of which have worked for me.

The recovery disks as I mentioned do not do a typical recovery, it appears from what I see, that it only recreates the recovery image and partition and the ability to boot. Once the last disk is loaded onto the hdd the DVD is kicked out and the computer restarts into recovery mode with the idea that it will use the image it just created in the recovery partition to install the OS and all the drivers and software that originally came with the computer.

It seems obvious to me that HP didn't put much time into creating these recovery DVD’s. From what I have seen in the HP forums this is not isolated to just this model but extends across nearly every type of computer from desktops to laptops.

This particular laptop does not have the Microsoft license key label anywhere on it so that I cannot even install Windows 8 because it cannot be activated without purchasing new software. Microsoft will tell you it's not their problem, it's the OEM's responsibility, and HP will tell you to contact Microsoft. I've been down that road already.

I've worked on a lot of computers since I became A+ certified (now going on 17 years) and I have to say, without a doubt that this is the worst recovery I've ever attempted. I used to hold HP in high regard but it is obvious they are taking the low road on customer support if they can't put out a working version of recovery DVD’s for their computers.

FYI: I have installed Windows 7 and Windows 8 just to see if those would install without errors, which they did. Windows 7 requires downloading drivers (which don't work for the Wifi or Network Adapter) and there are no drivers for the touchpad. Windows 8 installed just fine and no drivers needed to be downloaded, everything worked with no problems. More proof that it is not the hardware but the recovery media provided by HP.

HP Recommended

I quickly found a solution:

1) Reset Bios

2) Set Legacy Boot in the BIOS

3) <<< IMPORTANT >>> Desactivate the WIFI (try to see when the light come white and press the key to be sure that is red) (env. at the middle of the restore process, juste before the previouse PININST_B error)

Good luck

HP Recommended

Already tried 1 & 2 many times, no change. There is no control/switch for Wifi on this particular model. The only way to disable it is to detach the wires for the Wifi (which also doesn't work).

My final solution was this;

Download a small progrram that could pull the license key out of the Windows 8 that had been on the hdd. I was able to make an image of the old hdd that had failed, with a lot of errors, but it was enough to recover the license key from it.

Next I installed Windows 8 with absolutely no problems.

Once installed I activated Windows 8 using the license key I had pulled from  the dead drive.

Now the laptop works just fine but it does not have the HP software that originally came with the laptop, a small sacrifice to have a working laptop again.

Anyone who is thinking of getting HP recovery media my suggestion is, don't waste your money or time. Pull the license key from the OS then just install Windows 8 using a friend's media.

Some final thoughts; It is my belief that the HP media fails because the hardware may have been upgraded or changed as was my case. The media recovery expected a specific hard drive and because the hard drive was reporting a different manufacturer and model it would not complete the installation and therefore result in this error. There is no work around to get the recovery media to work if you had to replace the hard drive, upgraded the memory, or switched out the DVD player for a Bluray. Any deviation from what was original to this and many other machines will cause the recovery media to fail in my opinion. HP should anticipate changes in hardware will be made for upgrading or to replace non functional hardware and so it should allow for these types of changes. Checking the BIOS to insure it is genuine HP should be sufficient. Since Windows 8 was the default OS for this laptop it should expect that secure boot is going to be enabled and this really should not matter one iota as to whether recovery media will do its job, restore the OS and software to factory default.

HP Recommended

First of all HP Tech assistance was worthless. I had bought the recovery CDs and after going through the system recovery process I kept getting the error message listed here. I called them and they were mostly interested in telling me that the laptop was not under warranty. Transfered me to another techie and his advice was to bring it to a local repair shop. A quick search on my own brought me here. I tried this F10- F9 method and NG then tried it again after getting into a screen where I changed the date back to 2012 and Im in bussiness. Thanks all for getting me going without dropping 100 minimum at the shop. Also the last time I DID NOT load the drivers CD that came with the recovery CDs  skipped that step. didn't seem to matter everything seems to be working fine

HP Recommended

SUCCESS!!!

The only thing that worked for me (and I tried EVERYTHING else) was changing the date. The default system date was set to 2015, but my laptop (Envy) was made in 2013. The Windows recovery discs also say 2013 on them. There are a number of suggestions in this thread about changing the date, and a few different dates to try, but the one I went with was 08/04/2012. I went through the whole recovery process (and I did NOT skip the last disc) and then I interrupted one of the restarts to check that the date was still what it should be. It turns out the system changed it to 09/23/2012 but I left it alone and continued the process. At least it didn't say 2015, which is what the default BIOS settings were. Et voila! And Bob's your uncle. It worked!!! 

Now we'll see how long before the laptop breaks down again and has to be sent out for repairs (I'm on my third hard drive in just over a year).

Bunch of crap.

HP Recommended

Have to agree with Karn_evil above here, all the same errors and experiences happened to me that many of you went through 1 month before warranty was to expire end of December 2014 on my envy ts 15 j0003cl. Many hours on the phone with tech support, and many attempts to recover they sent 3 recovery  flash drives all of which would do the same, I'd get an hour into factory recovery and the Pininst_BBV errors and failed to install  would appear.

I was at my wits end and had read through  and try out some of the other suggestions on here.  I had a successful recovery by changing the (system date) back to before the (born on date which was 12/29/2013) listed just below the sytem time in my bios. I didn't use a specific date or change the day/ month,  just backed the year to 2012, saved it and re-ran factory recovery. After the final installation boot I checked the date and it had auto corrected to the correct time and date and 3 1/2 hours later I had a running laptop again..... talk about relieved!!!

It's been running well for just about a month now.

I'm no techie but am guessing since i had updated the Bios to the most current with each new release,  it had affected the ability to recover  back to factory Win 8

HP Recommended
I also have a envy touch ok laptop and having the same exact problems I followed all your steps and now it is working but my wifi won't work even wen airplane mode is off and the wifi is on if you have any follow up info can you plz reply to this
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.