Question

HP Administrator
SiobhanF
Message 1 of 1 (1,679 Views)

"Microsoft" calls to tell you that your PC has been hacked

I just got a call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft. He told me that my computer was infected. 

He said that Microsoft knew that the PC was hacked because of the error reports I chose to send them when the pop up came up.

You probaly have seen the ones like this.

Capture.JPG

This was ineresting since I know that no personal information goes to Microsoft when you send the error reports.

Knowing that ther are a large number of scams like this, I asked for the phone number to call them back. He said that he would call me back. Then after pushing some more he gave me a bunch a random numbers.

If you look at Microsoft's Forum and the have a thread called "Phone warnings from 'Microsoft.'"

Bascially, Mircosoft didn't call me to warn me that my PC was hacked. Someone was fishing trying to get acess to my PC.

If you get a call, beware.

I work for HP, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation