Question

Student
Woody021072
Message 1 of 3 (432 Views)

replaced hard drive on hdx 16-1140us get No bootable device

I had a complete hard drive failure on a hdx 16-1140us and had to replace the hard drive. I made the recovery disc when I bought the PC. When I start the PC with "disk 1" I get "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated! Thanks.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 3 (430 Views)

Re: replaced hard drive on hdx 16-1140us get No bootable device

Try tapping the ESC key at power on to see if it gives option of booting from CD/DVD to select.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 3 (427 Views)

Re: replaced hard drive on hdx 16-1140us get No bootable device

Hi:

If you can't get the recovery disk set you made to work, you may have to order a set of HP factory recovery disks.

Info on how to do that can be found at the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lan...

If you are adventurous and can follow instructions, you can make your own Vista 32 or 64 bit plain installation disk by downloading the 3 applicable files at the link below and following the step by step instructions to compile the 3 files into an ISO file which you then burn to a DVD.

Then using the 25 character Vista product key on the bottom of your notebook, you activate the installation.

Apparently the product key you enter will activate (unlock) the version of windows vista that came with your notebook (as you see there is only one Vista file for all versions).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-vi...

Once installed, you can get whatever drivers you need and whatever software is available for download from your notebook's support and driver page.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation