system recovery - notebook - Pavilion dv7 - Windows 7 (861 Views)
Honor Student
MH-OTR
Message 1 of 9 (861 Views)

system recovery - notebook - Pavilion dv7 - Windows 7

I have been doing a system recovery/factory reset on my laptop which didn't complete the first time I tried.  I found on a troubleshooting list that the wireless has to be turned on when completing this process for notebooks that have wireless LAN device which I am pretty sure that mine does but i can't get the wireless to turn on.  Any suggestions?

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 9 (857 Views)

Re: system recovery - notebook - Pavilion dv7 - Windows 7

It is most likely the F12 key to turn on your wireless adapter. The F12 key should have a symbol similiar to this if it is also for wireless>> "I".

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
MH-OTR
Message 3 of 9 (843 Views)

Yes...that is correct it is the F12 key however the wireless will not turn back on.  I don't know why it will not turn on, it was working fine before we started doing the system recovery but it's like it doesn't recognize the wireless driver which since we did reformat the hard drive and it hasn't completed the recovery process I didn't know if that was why or not. We are booting it from the CD/DVD ROM and going through the recovery manager and all that stuff but when I push the wireless button which is the F12 it doesn't turn the wireless on. I keep getting a system error before the recovery completes and I read on the HP site that if the wireless is off it can cause that so how do you fix that?  Thanks

Honor Student
MH-OTR
Message 4 of 9 (812 Views)

If anyone has any thoughts at all on this subject I would greatly appreciate any input.....I am still unable to complete the recovery process althogether because I am unable to get the wireless to turn on and as I stated earlier I am pretty sure that is because it can't find the driver because it did start the process to reformat the hard drive.  Please if you have any thoughts at all share them.  I will try anything that I haven't tried already.  I have even tried downloading the wireless driver and putting it on a flash drive and putting the flash in while rebooting the computer thinking that in some odd way that may work too but of course that hasn't yet worked either. Please help....I am desperate!

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 9 (804 Views)

We see a lot of posts regarding issues with Recovery. Wireless is only one of several causes. A faulty hdd, memory can also cause it.Have you tested yours using the F2 Disgnostics at boot?  I have even seen at least one poster who solved his problem by removing the mSATA drive first. Many,not all, laptops have the mSATA cache disk.

------------------------------------------

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft Windows 7 license key attached to bottom of laptop , you can download a Windows 7 ISO file to burn to a DVD The version must match the one listed on the Microsoft COA sticker. 

Link to the Windows 7 ISO file downloads:

Use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to convert the ISO file to a Windows installation on DVD or USB flash drive.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool#installation

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

Next go to your support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
BongaB
Message 6 of 9 (779 Views)

my hp pavilion dv7-6101ei doesn't shut down it only hibernate when i shut down,please assist me on how to solve the problem.....

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 7 of 9 (755 Views)

Hello BongaB. I understand your computer is hibernating instead of shutting down. I would like you to view this Microsoft forum for assistance: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/why-is-my-computer-hibernatin...

Someone else had the exact same issue and received a resolution on this thread. Please try the troubleshooting presented and let me know if it assists you or not. I'm only here to help!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
MH-OTR
Message 8 of 9 (717 Views)

Thanks for your responses....however at this time we still haven't gotten it fixed.  We did run the diagnostics on it for both the memory and hard disk and both wwere ok.  We have tried to recover several times now....is there some reason why with multiple attempts would just use up memory somehow or something?  We were gonna just do a killdisk and write it back to zeros but haven't had a computer we could download the killdisk program from to make the disk.  I am using a work computer and it will not let me download and set up the killdisk because of course it thinks I'm trying to make changes on the work computer. My husband was trying to go to Microsoft and download the windows ISO as you had suggested but has not been successful yet.  I do have a windows boot disk and I have the HP set of recovery disks that came from HP not the ones I made but I continue to find more information that tells me i have to have the wireless turned on and I continue to be unable to turn the wireless on because the hard disk has been erased.  An IT guy even suggested we take the wireless card out to see if that would make a difference but it didn't help either.  Any other ideas?  I am gonna try going to the link you sent last time again to see if we can make that work but I don't know that it will be nay different than the other attempts. 

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 9 (712 Views)

For myself-at this point I would try a new hard drive in it. Just be sure the replacement is of at least as large a capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger capacity but not smaller.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation