Question

Student
mary54301
Message 1 of 2 (479 Views)

what is the boot sequence in the hp pavilion dv 5 laptop and how do i change it?

I need to reinstall Windows 8. First I could not get The Win 8 pro disk to boot so I suspect the boot sequence need to be modified. Secondly I had a heck of a time getting into the BIOS and whe n I did I don;;t think I was in the BIOS  but some screen that gave a lot of tests to do. So, I need to get into the bios on a computer running Win 8 and tell it to boot from the DVD first.  I thought I knew how to do it but Win 8 is different.  Any help would be appreciated.  The reason I want to do it is that did an upgrade of Win 7 to 8 and now I want to do a clean install.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 2 (468 Views)

what is the boot sequence in the hp pavilion dv 5 laptop and how do i change it?

F10 at power on is the standard way of accessing BIOS. It sounds like you pressed the ESC key or F2 if you were seeing a lot of test to be run.

The two methods below are fairly generic steps. If neither method works, respond back with the full model or product number of your notebook and I may be able to find more specific instructions.

Power off the notebook.

Power on the notebook and press F10 about once a second.

This should get you into BIOS where the boot order can be selected in System Configuration.

However, I recommend selecting the DVD drive to boot from for one time versus changing it permanently.

Power off the notebook.

Power on the notebook and press the ESC key once every second.

This should load the startup menu. Select the option for boot options. This is usually F9 by default.

Here, you should be able to select the DVD drive. Select it and press enter. If the Windows 8 disk is inserted, it will either boot from it or give a message "press any key to boot from CD(DVD)".

I know you mentioned you wanted to do a clean install, but I highly recommend doing an in-place upgrade as outlined here. The reason I recommend this is that there may be some HP software that is not available for download and some features may not work properly. You may be lucky in your case and have all functionality in a clean install of Windows 8.

Also, I am not certain if your unit is approved for Windows 8 or if anyone else reading this post has a unit that is slated to receive Windows 8 software from HP. Review this document to get an idea of what to expect when upgrading to Windows 8.
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation