Question

Tutor
waytogo
Message 1 of 15 (811 Views)

wipe my laptop clean without cd

Hi all. I'm having a problem restoring my laptop to factory settings. When I try to restore the screen goes dark and absolutely nothing happens. I thought it was doing the restore and so I left it alone for more than 24 hours, but yet nothing happens. I don't care about saving whatever is on there, I just want to restore it to factory settings.

I don't have the cd or any cd for that matter, just the laptop. Can someone help?

Please!!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 15 (804 Views)

Re: wipe my laptop clean without cd

Hi:

What is the full model number of your notebook?

Student
fefssa
Message 3 of 15 (802 Views)

get in the support page and get the CD for you laptop with the model and serial number of your computer

Tutor
waytogo
Message 4 of 15 (801 Views)

Hi Thanks for your reply.

It's model # G61-320CA

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 15 (789 Views)

You're very welcome.

Here are your options:

1. Order a set of recovery disks for your notebook by clicking on the link below and then click on the link labeled Order Recovery Media.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4041...

2. Make your own W7 installation media if you can read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on the microsoft sticker on the bottom of your notebook.

Here's how to do that when you don't have W7 installation media.

Use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to compile the ISO file you download from Digital River. Link  below. You need a DVD or a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method of compilation.

Use the 25 character windows 7 product key to activate your installation.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below. Download the applicable version of Windows 7 that is on your product key (Home Premium, Pro, or Ultimate).

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languag...

Tutor
waytogo
Message 6 of 15 (786 Views)

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a try and let you know.

I'm not computer savy, but will do my best.

Thankks

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 15 (776 Views)

You're very welcome.

Making your own disk is easy.

If I can do it, you can do it.

Tutor
waytogo
Message 8 of 15 (770 Views)

The windows media tool that I download doesn't really do anything. It just asks me to "repair" or "uninstall"..I click on repair and then it says repair complete, close window.

Is there something I am not doing right?...Probably

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 9 of 15 (764 Views)

Which file are you talking about?

First you need to download the applicable version of the Windows 7 ISO file (download one from the SP1 Media Refresh links).

For example, download the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit English ISO file from the list if that is what is currently installed on your PC.

Then you download the Windows 7 ISO to USB tool from CNET and run it.

The tool will ask you to browse (find) to the W7 ISO file you downloaded, and it will either make a bootable DVD or USB flash drive automatically for you.

If you want to install W7 from usb flash drive, then you need a 4 GB or larger usb flash drive.

Tutor
waytogo
Message 10 of 15 (761 Views)

Well I can't seem to do anything on my HP Laptop. It freezes, crashes, page not found on the internet.

I'm answering from my other computer.

But i did find a dvd with the re-install for the windows 7 home premium

can i do anything from my other computer....like make another cd that i may need?

I told you I wasn't very computer savy

thanks for your help.

if i cant get it going i will have to dump it or bring it in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation