Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I am fixing a friend's system and a vertical row of keys 4,5,v,b,f,g,r,t are dead. If I am in bios all other keys beep except these. I am unable to login to windows as I can't type the letter "b" which is in login password. Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

i forgot to mention the system is a Pavillion dv6  Notebook 

HP Recommended

Hey tobes, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue. 

I would suggest trying a hard reset as the next quickest and less invasive step. This can sometimes fix strange issues because it drains all of the electricity out of the unit. Here are the steps for a Hard Reset.

Next you could try cleaning the keyboard connectors. Here are some tips on cleaning circuit contacts.

If a hard reset and cleaning the contacts doesn't help, the motherboard may need to be replaced. If you need to save data, attach a USB keyboard to login and copy and paste your files to a flash drive or external hard drive. 

Hope this information helps! Let me know the results, if you get a chance Smiley Happy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.