Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi everyone!

I'm near the end of my teather with this issue with conflicting graphics cards. I have the AMD 7400m as well as 3000 from integrated Intel. I've tried changing the BIOS from dynamic to fixed visa versa. I've disabled Intel graphics whilst trying to install AMD, nope... still got the blank screen problem. I've wiped my computer 3 times to 3 different Windows to see if that would fix the problem (7, 8 and 10) and they all had the same problem. I have the latest BIOS for this computer and I have no idea what to do anymore. I've changed compatibility modes before installing.... everything. No idea what to do anymore and I want to give up. I'm currently on Windows 8 (Stuck with a blank screen) and will leave over night to see what happens.

Has anyone got a solution? I know some people have had similar problems and the sulutions for fixing it didn't fix mine.... What is going on?

[Edit: The laptop did nothing over night. I wiped it again back to Windows 8.] 

Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Bone_idle16

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

I understand you have an AMD graphics card and currently all you have is a black screen, though you've installed win8 and updated the BIOS amongst other steps,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03754824

(Do not share any personal information such as serial number, email ID, phone number or address on a public forum for your safety). 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

Which operating system came with the computer, HP Supplied?

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Bone_idle16

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

I understand you have an AMD graphics card and currently all you have is a black screen, though you've installed win8 and updated the BIOS amongst other steps,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03754824

(Do not share any personal information such as serial number, email ID, phone number or address on a public forum for your safety). 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

Which operating system came with the computer, HP Supplied?

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

@Riddle_Decipher

Product Number: A7N50EA#ABU

Windows OS: Windows 7 Home Premium

CPU: i3-2350m

GPU: AMD Radeon 7400m

RAM: 4GB

HDD: 500GB

I wiped the computer back from Windows 8 to Windows 7 (Drivers seem to support 7 more than 😎 and nothing else has changed. When I try and install the AMD graphics drivers It either gets stuck at start up screen where is says "Starting Windows" or it just has a flashing underscore in the top left corner. I've tried using third party software such as SlimDrivers or Driver Booster to get the drivers in to no avail. I've followed tutorials on YouTube, installed previous versions of the AMD driver.... No luck at all. I posted on here praying that someone could give me a miracle. I have looked at countless threads (Not just on HP's website) to help with this problem and none of the solutions fixed it. Everything else in the laptop works (Fingerprint sensor, Intel 3000 graphics, beats speakers) But not the dedicated graphics card....

HP Recommended

@Bone_idle16

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I must let you know that HP doesn't support retail version of windows, the best thing to do is to reinstall the OEM or HP Supplied OS as that would contain the factory shipped software and drivers that should resolve these issues,

Since you've formatted the drive while installing the windows 8 and then the windows 7, the recovery partition may not longer work, I recommend you order a recovery media from HP and install the OEM using the recovery media to resolve the issue if you have been able to recovery using a recovery partition to windows 7 previously.

To obtain the recovery media you may use this link: Click here for details.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Bone_idle16

I must let you know that HP doesn't support retail version of windows, the best thing to do is to reinstall the OEM or HP Supplied OS as that would contain the factory shipped software and drivers that should resolve these issues,

Since you've formatted the drive while installing the windows 8 and then the windows 7, the recovery partition may not longer work, I recommend you order a recovery media from HP and install the OEM using the recovery media to resolve the issue if you have been able to recovery using a recovery partition to windows 7 previously.

To obtain the recovery media you may use this link: Click here for details.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

If you don't support retail versions how come all of the drivers for the computer are on your site? I've had no problems with no other drivers, just the graphics card. Why should I spend £45 to find out this might not even solve the problem to say other people have had same issues.

HP Recommended

@Bone_idle16

Thank you for replying,

The software/drivers available on the HP website are links provided by the manufacturers of their respective hardware components as drivers from other manufacturers wouldn't work on your computer,

And similarly, the OS I recommend you install on your computer is the one supplied by HP as its an OEM and will resolve any software or driver related issue on your computer as it's designed to do.

Unfortunately, if you continue to use the retail version of windows, I recommend you contact Microsoft as HP doesn't support retail version you've obtained on your own.

Let me know what you'd like to do (if the above helped change your perspective) so that I may help you further,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium right now and still having problems. What would be the point in me contacting Microsoft when they would just tell me to go straight back to you? I would just be going around in circles (Which I can't be asked to do). I didn't realise that when I was buying into this laptop, I would be buying into the problems that Intel and AMD have with each other. I have looked on the drivers and support page and can't see how much it would cost to get a recovery media; how much are we looking at? I didn't know that this would be a costly problem......

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Bone_idle16

Thank you for replying,

The software/drivers available on the HP website are links provided by the manufacturers of their respective hardware components as drivers from other manufacturers wouldn't work on your computer,

And similarly, the OS I recommend you install on your computer is the one supplied by HP as its an OEM and will resolve any software or driver related issue on your computer as it's designed to do.

Unfortunately, if you continue to use the retail version of windows, I recommend you contact Microsoft as HP doesn't support retail version you've obtained on your own.

Let me know what you'd like to do (if the above helped change your perspective) so that I may help you further,

Regards,

HP Recommended

@Bone_idle16

The only reason I'm recommending a recovery media is so that you don't have to waste any more of your precious time looking for relevant drivers as they're all preinstalled within the HP Recovery media as mentioned before, that said, I do not have the price information, what you could do instead is use the link I shared earlier to learn about obtaining the recovery media (here it is again:  Click here for details.)

Alternatively, you could Contact HP phone support to order one via phone:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@Bone_idle16

The only reason I'm recommending a recovery media is so that you don't have to waste any more of your precious time looking for relevant drivers as they're all preinstalled within the HP Recovery media as mentioned before, that said, I do not have the price information, what you could do instead is use the link I shared earlier to learn about obtaining the recovery media (here it is again:  Click here for details.)

Alternatively, you could Contact HP phone support to order one via phone:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

I looked on the drivers page for my laptop and there's no "Operating System Rocovery" of such there. I'm confused. The laptop I have has a 500GB HDD but originally it should've come with a 750GB one. Could this mean the people who had this before me has taken the hard drive out and replaced it with another one?

HP Recommended

It says that because the warranty has run out, my only option is to speak to people in the community.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.