Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DV6 7000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP DV6 7000 laptop. Battery charging only works when lid is closed (sleep mode).

If I close the lid and plug in the charger, the indicator light shows orange, and the battery will then proceed to charge to near full.

If I open the lid prior to the orange light changing to white, the battery icon always says: __% available (plugged in, not charging).

Several different chargers give identical outcomes. ALL of them will fully charge the battery in about two hours; provided that, the lid is kept closed. If I open the lid, even at say 50% charge, the orange light switches to white, and the battery icon always says: __% available (plugged in, not charging).

Thanks, Ed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ElyMayor 

Thank you for your reply.

The last thing I can suggest trying is a restore back to factory.  Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7)

You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @ElyMayor ,

Thank you for your query, I will do my best to assist you.

I grasp that if you close the lid on the notebook  while in sleep mode the battery will charge. However when you are using the notebook it shows connected but not charging.

Have you ran the HP Support Assistant to aid with HP updates?

Here is a link to Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 7) that may also help

Next I would try this step.

Go to the command prompt, right click and run as administrator

Type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and press enter.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes

I had previously tried this; I repeated it anyway, but still no luck.

Here is a more concise synopsis of my problem in its entirety:

Computer sleeping = charger works

Computer NOT sleeping = charger doesn't work

I proved this by going to the Power Options in the control panel and selected: change when computer sleeps.

I selected "sleep in 5 minutes" and sat there with the lid OPEN (white LED visible at the charging inlet - plugged in, not charging displayed over the battery icon). Then, in 5 minutes, the computer went to sleep (with the lid OPEN) and the charging indicator changed to orange, a sure sign that the charger is working, and 15 minutes later (when I awoke it from the sleep mode) the battery charge had risen from 52% to 56%.  And, I have several of these chargers at my disposal, ranging from genuine HP to $9.99 aftermarket products. EVERY style of charger behaves the SAME WAY.

There seems to be a registry entry or other command requiring that the computer be asleep for charging to commence?

Thanks, again, Ed.

HP Recommended

Hi @ElyMayor. 

Would you try this step.

The Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery is basically the driver that communicates between the computer and the battery. There is a chance that it is corrupted.

Step 1. Go to Device Manager
Step 2. Select Batteries
Step 3. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
Step 4. Click Uninstall
Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver
Step 6. Shutdown the computer

Step 7: Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in

When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

Step 8. Go to Device Manager
Step 9. Select Batteries
Step 10. Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there
Step 11. Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.

I hope this does the trick!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

" Step 5. At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver "

This option does NOT appear.

I am going thru the steps at this time and I will report shortly.

" Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller. "

This is NOT present.

After all steps you suggested ...

Still the same situation exists as previously described.

Thanks, Ed.

HP Recommended

Hi @ElyMayor 

The last thing I can suggest trying is a restore back to factory.  Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7)

You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I am convinced that this problem will NEVER be solved.

My computer and battery are out of warranty, so paid tech support won't be cost effective for me.

Thanks for all of your efforts, Sparkles. It's re-assuring to know that people are still willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.

Later, Ed.

HP Recommended
It is impossible to do a system restore if the computer is not reading the charger. Just saying...
HP Recommended

I think it is time for HP to admit they don't have a clue !!  The Web is full of complaints about this issue and not a single response work!  They just created a lemon and no one has an idea how to charge the battery when the computer works.  It only changes when it sleeps - sweet dreams.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.