Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am using HP Probook 4530s core i5, it has been 2 months passed since the date i purchased this product. I have noticed these days that whenever i keep my laptop off/shutdown for 24 hours/a complete one day,its battery become discharged upto 5% and when i switch it on for my use it starts charging it. Here i find necessary to tell you that i always use my laptop on AC charger provided by HP,i have never use its battery back-up yet. Please tell me is it a normal behaviour for a battery.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A "OK" status basically means that battery is functioning correctly. This link will give you some more information on the battery test: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00821429

In the HP Support Assistant there should be an option to calibrate the battery. HP recommends to calibrate the battery ever 1 to 2 months. The issue you are having could be the result of the battery calibration being off. You can  either calibrate the battery using teh HP Support Assistant, or you can manually calibrate it by using this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00817650

Hope this helps!

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey Daniyal,

What operating system are you using? You should be able to run a battery test from the Start menu. Here is how:

Running HP Battery Check with HP Support Assistant installed:

1. Click Start
  2. Click HP Support Assistant
  3. Click Troubleshoot
  4. Click the Power, Thermal and Mechanical button
  5. From the Power tab, click HP Battery Check

Running HP Battery Check without HP Support Assistant installed:

1. Click Start
  2. Click All Programs
  3. Click on the HP Folder
  4. Then click HP Battery Check

Let me know the results of the battery test. It is better to use the laptop plugged in since most all new batteries are lithium-ion. Lithium batteries are limited to a certain number of full charges before the battery needs replaced. I find it best practice to keep my laptop plugged in as much as possible. When I use it on battery power I do not allow it to deplete past 20%. This is how I keep my batteries lasting as long as possible. 

-Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the assistance.I have check the status and it is showing " OK " on my screen.So ,is my battery in perfect Condition.?

HP Recommended

A "OK" status basically means that battery is functioning correctly. This link will give you some more information on the battery test: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00821429

In the HP Support Assistant there should be an option to calibrate the battery. HP recommends to calibrate the battery ever 1 to 2 months. The issue you are having could be the result of the battery calibration being off. You can  either calibrate the battery using teh HP Support Assistant, or you can manually calibrate it by using this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00817650

Hope this helps!

Sean

HP Recommended
Thank you so much 🙂
HP Recommended

Woo! Glad we got it figured out. If you have any other questions dont hesitiate to ask. Thanks for the kudos by the way. 🙂

Take care,

Sean

HP Recommended

My 4530S, Win 7 64-bit,  was bought new in Nov 2012 and has a similar intermittent problems with battery and blinking power source LED at jack. Usually it all works correctly and battery test shows "ok", but occasionally it shows "no battery". A few timesth LED blinks and wouldn't show charging at the Win7 battery icon, even with a different AC block. Removing and replacing battery seems to eventually fix it, but not the first time every time. Seems to possibly correlate with a previous BIOS update about December 2012, but timing of BIOS update was not really confirmed since the update came shortly after the pc was purchased. Also experiencing occasional on-board keyboard oddities (maybe shift or shiftlock gets stuck?) that seems to be corrected by repeated  tapping shift, shiftlock, and/or control keys repeatedly and/or reboot. I hought maybe needs keyboard cleaning with air can. All these inconsistentancies are very different from my many other successful high end HP laptop experiences. I am fairly technical, but mystified. Is the current consensus of all the forum traffic that this is a 4530s BIOS firmware problem needing HP authorization and return to factory? Or maybe just needs a new BIOS software download (if so, which BIOS version is good?)? Thanks!

HP Recommended

My battery time is same as before but the health check says about calibrate(21) message . So i have no idea about what this message is and how to solve it if any one who can help me...

HP Recommended

A new battery did not help. My problem was finally completely fixed with a re-install of my same BIOS version, per HP telephone Tech Support. HP answered promptly and was knowledgeable and helpful. I should have called HP a long time ago, but had incorrectly expected long wait times.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update jamnel.

For anyone who needs to call and speak to tech support, use the links below.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here. 

Also, please note:

Your ProBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.