Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Have G72T.   Keyboard has no BREAK key.

An application requires me to press:   CTRL+ALT+BREAK 

Is there a key combination that executes a BREAK key?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was also worried about the pause break key on my HP Pavilion g6 laptop.

You can see that the right hand side shift also acts as a pause key but when you simply press it, it doesn't respond (because that is acting as a shift key primarily and not  as a pause key).

I needed this pause key mainly for gaming purposes and I found out how to use the pause key.

✔️Press the "fn" key + press the 'right hand side shift/pause key'.

:LightBulb:Note: After you press the "fn" key you leave that and then press the shift/pause key, if you have to resume, again press the "fn" key and then press the shift/pause key.

Break key.png

If you have a problem when press the "fn" key, check this link: HP Notebook PCs - How to Lock or Unlock the Fn (Function) Key 

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Try the 'Pause' key...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

I have a DV7, and the 'Pause' is written in faint on the right hand SHIFT key..ie 'Pause' and 'SHIFT' are the same button... How do I activate the PAUSE (BREAK ?) ???

HP Recommended

probably function buttin usually marked by FN in a square in the same colour writing, lower left corner of keyboard, however, i've never been able to use a multi key command with the FN key required (as in your case it would be ctrl+alt+FN+shift) as the depressing of the FN key seems to boot me out of they key sequence required, alternativly, you could try to use a USB external keyboard with a pause/break key

HP Recommended

@ BigBadBoris - Can you post the exact model number of your notebook?

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

HI there, yes the laptop is a  DV7 4010.

Thx

HP Recommended

ESC button seems to cause a break, and gets me into Debug mode for Excel VBA, and other developement languages.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  This worked like a charm on my new HP Pavilion g series laptop.  I had searched all over the place for this information with no luck before coming here.  :generic:

HP Recommended

HEDV76199US Pavilion dv7-6199us 17.3" Notebook Computer (Steel Gray)

I just bought my Pavilion and I also cannot find the break key in order to get out of full screen mode of remote desk top.  I've tried

CTL + ALT + ESC

CTL + ALT + FN + ESC

CTL + ALT + PAUSE (pause is the shift function on the shift key.  Kind of wierd)

CTL + ALT + FN + PAUSE

CTL + ALT + FN + INS

I've also tried with just the right CTL and ALT keys.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with my dv7-6b63us

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.