Post new question
Question
Broken Plastic Bottom on Pavilion dv7 (images)
Replies (38)

Intern
Message 21 of 39 (1,220 Views)

Re: RE: Broken Plastic Bottom on Envy dv7

I emailed Jeff (the fellow from HP who sent me a PM) back in December still no reply.

Jeff, I'm emailing you again now.

Intern
Message 22 of 39 (1,206 Views)

I have a question for everyone.

Since the the case was replaced but the same exact hinges are still there, the new case would be probably due for replacement in a year or two due to the same exact issue.

QUESTION: is it worth taking it apart and re-lubricating the hinges with some synthetic oil? 

Intern
Message 23 of 39 (1,190 Views)

How would I get access to the hinges in ENVY to loosen them up? They seem to have a 2-piece plastic shell around them don't see a way to remove either part.

Student
Message 24 of 39 (1,178 Views)

Re: Broken Plastic Bottom on Pavilion dv7 (images)

Hi! I have been having this SAME EXACT issue with my HP dv7-4171 with the hinge... it has been getting worse and more parts have been getting loose. I am very worried that soon the left side will really get messed up and things will totally disconnect (right now there is a lot of play on the left hinge).... can someone please help put me in touch with the person I can send this to to get fixed?

I have looked at the base part online but I don't know if it'll requre anything else / if it's more damaged than i think.... can someone help put me in touch with someone at HP?! HELP!

sincerely,

scared his laptop will break.

Tutor
Message 25 of 39 (1,162 Views)

talk to hp customer support, they replaced my base cover after lot of conversation through this support forum ,emails and calls

Even though my product is out of warranty they replaced  base enclosure ,free of cost and also few months back they recalled power cord for the notebooks sold from 2012 and replaced my power cord 

i appreciate the effort put by JeffHelp,Mr.Kevin-t moderator,Mr.Biraja prasada Bidara (Customer relations India) and Mr.ABG Tilak (hp authorized support center) for assisting me in getting the replacement of that damaged base

grk
Intern
Message 26 of 39 (1,157 Views)

Well, you were lucky - my dv7t-4000 is not even supported by now, so there is nothing they could do...

Honor Student
Message 27 of 39 (1,071 Views)

Well written evaluation of the problem!!!

Where did you find a new bottom for $100. I have searched high and low. All the used computers that I have found have the same problem. $200 for new?? replacement. Ebay $125, but who knows if your not buying a half baked piece of plastic.

HP used to be a great company!

Student
Message 28 of 39 (958 Views)

i faced this problem in my pavilion g6 laptop. i bought my laptop during june 2012. this problem happened in jan 2013. fortunately my warranty covered for this damage which was replacement of the base enclosure. unfortunately this was not the permanent solution. i faced my left side hinge tightening as days went by. one day i decided to open my laptop when the new case too was about  to be ripped off. i found out that the dust from the cooling fan was accumulating around the hinge and hence was causing the tightening of the hinge. when i came across a few of the forums online it became evident that the dust from the fan was the reason for this problem. this is a problem of design. HP should reconsider their design as the force is very high around the left hinge due to dust accumulation. it would be better if they reconsider their placement of the cooling vents. till date i frequently open my laptop to clean it , loosen the hinges which become tight.  this is working well this way. it is for sure that many laptops have been affected by this

Honor Student
Message 29 of 39 (951 Views)

I have resolved the issue of my detorating left hinge assemble, I will be buying a new laptop. HP is not even a consideration! The case and its construction are a very important part of my evaluation on what to buy. I learned a rather expensive lesson. HP did not even have the professionalism to respond to my email. Evidently they feel no responsiblity for faulty construction of their products, as long as it last to the warranty date.

Student
Message 30 of 39 (813 Views)

No words! I paid a load of money to get something worthy and good for my job but end up to be cheap plastic!

Really, the entire internal design of the DV7-6000 series, and not only them because I've seen the same problems with other HP products, is faulty and cheap!!

The replacement parts from HP cannot be found or are extremely expensive and Chinese suppliers sell used parts as 100% new.

Looks like there is an exploitation party going on there and I am not blaming only HP... Nowdays most of the known brands produce their products and the very same manufacturer!!

If you want to learn how I deal with my problem and read my story check this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-fix-HP-Pavilion-dv7-6000-Series-Cover-Hinge/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation