Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How can I reactivate touchpad on my computer?

65 REPLIES 65
HP Recommended

touchpad.PNG

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

I've mistakenly locked touchpad of my laptop model pro book 4430s, touch pad is working before login to my system. before first time login and while unlock screen, after login touch pad lock led is glowing (touch pad is not working)

HP Recommended

Assuming the TouchPad is enabled, it may just be "off".

Double tap firmly in the upper left corner to turn it back on...

NOTES

• The "button" is sometimes fully invisible; sometimes there might be a small square or other marking on the surface to mark the location of the switch.

• This is a session-by-session toggle switch meant to allow the user manual control over the TouchPad on / off function.  That means, if you switch off the TouchPad, depending on other factors, the TouchPad will come back on the next time you reboot your computer.

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking Kudos Star in the Post that helped you.

Mark a Post “Accepted Solution” to say your issue is solved.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

thank you

it worked

HP Recommended

I've used this button several times and it will not turn on/off. What setting menu would have the options to turn the function button back on?

HP Recommended

Hi Srt,

If the advice in the above posts do not help (the firm double tap in the far upper left corner to turn TouchPad ON/OFF), then you might have have disabled the device.

OR

One other thing you might have done that looks odd, but doesn't actually disable the device, is to turn off the light around the TouchPad (if your device has such).  It is a toggle.

Function key (FN) and then the space bar  turns light on / off / on ...

Disable / Enable:

Control Panel > icon view > Mouse > TouchPad Settings > Click to "TouchPad Enable"

Continue on to Settings to set up and configure the TouchPad the way you like it...

==========================================================================

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I've done as suggested but my mouse doesn't have that option. I know I just recently lost everything on the computer and had people from my school redownload the OPS (Windows 7) and have had other drivers need to be downloaded. I was informed to update mouse driver and have updated as requested. I now as I said don't have the option, could this mean I don't have the corect driver/mouse operating system?

HP Recommended

Hi Srt,

You have tagged onto someone else's Post.  You did not say what kind of computer you have.  I do not know if you have the correct driver.  It is possible that the driver is not installed or did not install properly.

To Check the Current Version:

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices >

Right-Click Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad (or Similar) > Properties > Driver

Check the Driver Version

If HP ever sold your computer with Windows 7 installed on it, then below you will find your computer's website with application software for your computer, including the software for your TouchPad.

========================================================================

If you would like to try re-installing your Device Driver

Here are the instructions for you to follow so you can find your computer's website for your Operating System.  At the website, enter your Operating System (Windows 7), and look for your TouchPad Driver.

Go to the top of this Forum page - to Support and Drivers

• Enter your notebook model number
  • Open the HP web page for your Product / Model
  • Go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page
  • Enter your Operating System
  • Scroll down - Go to category Driver – Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
  • Select “Synaptics TouchPad Driver” (Select the Newest Version)
  • Save this installation package onto your computer.  Make a note of the file's NAME and its location.
  • Install the installation package:  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

==========================================================================

The website for your computer has other software for your computer, manuals, and lots of information to help you recover what you need to get your system back "in good shape".  Take a look around and be sure to download your manuals, too, if you have not done so before.

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

i wqnt to know that how can i locked my mouse pad on my hp laptop g-42 i have doublr cliclk on its light but it dosent worked it ,,,, please hrlp me .....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.