Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-2002au
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have been doing a periodic update of the system drivers on the laptop.  Last time I can recall doing this was nearly 2 years ago.  And this time I encountered problems.

This topic is a follow-up to my query on this thread, regarding safe mode start/restoring after a failed driver update:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/booting-safe-mode-on-hp-g6-2002au/m-p/5690028/...

And as i reported there I begam doing a one by one update to locate what caused the original problem with the bulk update.  After 7 one-by-one driver updates, I found the (or, at least) one causing the problem.  In the following image, the 2 PCI-to-USB host drivers caused a windows failure message after the update.

DriveBooster scan17Jul16.jpg

There are 6 USB-related drivers in this extremely old/aged list and clearly they relate to the number of installed hardware items on the laptop.  See this screen shot of the Device Manager list:

HP device manager 170716.jpg

Of the 6 USB drivers to be updated, I picked these 2 items to update first because 1) they looked to be the oldest (the replacements were dated in 2010), and 2) as I understand the technology, these bits connect the processor bus to the actual host and hub chips.

I chose only these 2 PCI- drivers for update (unticked the selection boxes for all the others in the booster list), and proceeded.  When the install was completed a windows message box reported a windows failure for one of the devices (which one, not stated or even referenced by a number).  Considering that the originals had been working for years without apparent issues, I began a restore process.  It worked, and the restored "extremely old" drivers are again working without any error boxes, whereas the newer ones  were not.

This is a screen shot of the restored (working) driver details, which appear to be the original Microsoft items for XP3. Vista and windows 7

HP working PCI to USB driver 170716.jpg

Any ideas why this (driver update failure) is happening?

Davidk10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Davidk10

There is no HP updates, the prograns you are using is not support by HP.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Davidk10,

I hope you enjoy your visit to the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with driver updates. I will be glad to help you.

Hp has not issued any new driver update for your computer on Windows from Sep 26, 2013. As you are running Windows 7 and Microsoft is pudding windows 10 there will not be any new drivers.

You can check My information at support.hp.com

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I understand the timing and circumstances.  However . . .

The original driver for the laptop is dated 2006 - see the driver properties picture in the original post.  And the update driver announced is dated 2010, also in a driver booster image in the original post.

So I did expect that the update was both current (or least, the most current one there was) and would work.  Alas, it didn't.  Caused lots of re-boot grief when originally tried as part of a batch, as I indicated in the safe mode start query I referenced.  Having resolved the grief and identified which driver was causing the grief, and recovered again, the question was why (this post)?

Driver updates are issued for reason.  So I am really trying to find out why this one (2 applications of the same driver - presumably because there are USB2 and USB3 ports in the PC) did not work (installed, and then crashed the machine).  And I am assuming that the drivers for the other parts of the USB connection are similarly affected, but have not tried it yet.  One problem at a time . . . .

Davidk10

HP Recommended

@Davidk10

There is no HP updates, the prograns you are using is not support by HP.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I guess I'll live with it.

I appreciate that you don't do the drivers, but it is your hardware.  I did think you might know why a driver update failed.

Thanks,

Davidk10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.