Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My G72 will not start.  I have tried all the tricks for unplugging power cable, battery, holding the button down, etc. I have pulled RAM, verified power to the system board using a voltmeter....

No matter what I try, when I put the battery in and hook it to power, then press the power button, the AC power LED blinks three times.  It does this if the power is not hooked up; it does not do it if the battery's removed (with AC power).

I have tried two separate AC adapters, known working ones. I have voltage at the system board, so I don't think it's the power connector.  The system responds only with the 3 blinks when I hit the power switch.

What do the three blinks mean? I can find nothing online specific, and it's out of warranty.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

If the LEDs are blinking with you turn on the notebook, refer the following weblink:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366 

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

I'm resurrecting this post. I am experiencing the same thing as the OP. Here's what I've done step-by-step:

1. Battery left in with no charge and AC adapter plugged in. Press the power button and I get 3 flashes of the LED light built into the power jack, not on the power button.
  2. Removed battery and press power using only power cord. No LED lights flash.
  3. Removed power cord and held power button for 1 minute to remove any charge on the board. Plugged power cord back in and nothing. Put battery in and I get 3 flashes of the LED light built into the power jack.
  4. Ordered and installed a new power jack. Same results as above.
  5. Installed a power jack from a working model G72. Same result
  6. Tried new power adapter and a working used power adapter from same model. Still get 3 flashing lights on power jack.
  7. Removed RAM sticks. Same result
  8. Pulled CMOS battery for 4 hours and re-connected. Same result
  9. Put a fully charged battery in and the computer boots just fine. Plugging in the power cord (using new power jack and old) does not show charging icon. Wiggling the each adapter does nothing.
  10. Disassmbled and examined motherboard. Know visible bad solders or popped chips.

The only thing I haven't done is check the voltage on the power at the connector on the motherboard. Would anyone here assume that it must be an issue with the power connector on the board?

HP Recommended

You missed the point of Vidya's original reply. 3 LED blinks indicates a RAM fault or seating problem; if you pulled the RAM sticks and reseated them, and are still having the issue, then one of the modules is probably bad.

You might try cleaning the RAM connections and then reseating, but if you still get 3 blinks, one of them is toast. The reason you get the failure LED's is that the system cannot perform a POST with a certain faults, one of them being a RAM problem.

Of course the real trick is determining which one(s) it is, but honestly if you've got one bad module, you're better off replacing all of them with a new set. If you got room to upgrade, now's a good time.

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

HP Recommended

I actually pulled both RAM sticks and tried one at a time in each slot and the battery power LED light still flashed 3 times. Now, when I put a fully charged battery from another working machine into it, the laptop turns on just fine. I ran Memtest86 on a boot and no faults reported back. Also ran Prime95 torture test and had no issues. Not sure if I made it clear, but the laptop does nothing when plugged in. No fans, keyboard lights, screen, HDD, etc. It just remains off.

Vidya's post was referring to the LED on the CAPSLock/Number Lock keys which does say 3 LED Flashes = Module (RAM) error. But, my flashing LED light is not either of those. Built directly in the power jack (where the power adapter cord plugs in) is a tiny square LED referred to as the Battery Power LED. That is the light that is flashing when I press the power button, but only flashes if the dead battery and AC cord are plugged in. If I remove the battery and press the power button while plugged in, there are no Battery Power LED flashes. So, I believe that light is flashing merely because the battery is dead. For some reason, the board isn't accepting a charge from the AC adapter, which I've tried new and used ones that are working on a different laptop of the same model.

I guess I will know more once I get ahold of a multimeter and test the mosfet chips to see if they are receiving any voltage. I'm heavily leaning toward the board being shot.

HP Recommended

Anyone think trying to reflow the solder on the chips near the power jack connector is worth a shot?

HP Recommended

...'reflow the solder on the chips near the power jack connector'... No, I believe on this model the connector has a plug in (going into the motherboard) on one end, it's not one you solder.

HP Recommended

I meant reflow the solder on the surface mounted chips that carry the current to the board near where the jack connects to the board.

It's okay now. I was able to verify the chips weren't carrying the current and just purchased a new mobo. Everything works now.

HP Recommended

Did you ever found out what those 3 blinks meant  after all?  I have the same issue with my G56 Notebook and did everything you post before and nothing happened.  I was thinking about fried motherboard, but I would like to hear something from you before doing anything to my laptop.  I will appreciate your attention.  Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended
I had the same issue and it's a bad motherboard. I tried all other solutions before replacing the motherboard. Now it works great! Good luck
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.