Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I've had my laptop plugged in for a while now and it won't turn on. When I plug it up the light beside the charger turns white for a few seconds and then turns red.
Any suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey Ctfields, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue. If the light is turning solid red/amber and not blinking, that means it is charging the battery. 

What happens when you press the Power button? Does the light on it come on at all, blink or remain on? Do you hear any spinning sounds from the fan and/or drives in the computer? Do you see any image on the screen, whether it is just an HP logo or a black screen with a blinking cursor or anything at all? Do you hear Windows' startup sounds? Do you see the Caps/Num lock lights blinking? If so, please let me know how many times it blinks. 

I would suggest trying a hard reset, if you haven't already. A hard reset will drain all of the residual electricity out of the unit and give it a clean boot state. This can solve a lot of mysterious no-boot situations.

1. Disconnect the AC Adapter and battery.

2. Press and hold the Power button for about 10 seconds, then release.

3. Reinsert the battery and AC Adapter.

4. Press the Power button to turn the computer on.

HP Recommended
I am having the same problem with my HP 2000. The light is white then goes to red/orange light. I have tried pushing the power button when it does this and nothing happens.
I have tried the hard reset and still nothing happens. Any suggestions as what I can do next?
HP Recommended
Mine does tge same thing. Caps lock blinks like tgree twice. It doesnt have any logo of hp or anything and the i cant hear the fan working.
HP Recommended
Mine does the same thing. Caps lock blinks like twice. It doesnt have any logo of hp or anything and then i cant hear the fan working. It started as a pink screen then i got an update from windows 8, i closed my laptop and wont open anymore
HP Recommended
Mine has the same problem but the hard reset didn't work
HP Recommended
I left my charger home and I needed to on my hp2000 laptop,was charging fine but suddenly went off.when I got home I used my charger and d light turns orange,but laptop won't boot,nothing at all hapinds when I turn it on.pls help me ..I got this not long ago
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my laptop.  I purchased a new battery yesterday and it turned on.  It worked for about 3 hours  then powered off with no warning.  Now the light is amber.  When I turn it on, it will stay on for about 30 seconds then shut down.  

Obviously this is a known issue with this model, I would hope that HP would address it and fix it.

HP Recommended

i figured out how to do a fix on this problem, but you would have to use your computer with only the usb on the left side, the usb on the right side is the cause of the computer not starting, you will need to take the computer apart and disconnect the two right side usb that is connected by one rebon, Warning!!! be sure to bend under the rebon so it dosent go back near the slot. once completed the laptop computer will turn on one click trust me.

please make sure if you dont know how to take apart a laptop...get a experence person to do this simple job ...to prevent damage!!!

HP Recommended
I have the same problem my hp2000 do start even if I press the power button but is indicating that is charging
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.