Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion dv6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Sirs,

recently I've done the upgrade, suggested by Microsoft, from the  Windows Seven originally installed on the notebook to Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit.

During the Windows upgrade process, the process reported me that HP Connection Manager and HP SimplePass2011 were not suitable for Windows 10 and they will be dischaged.

Anyway these 2 HP programs are still present in the Control Panel in the list of the applications.

So now I would uninstall both them.

Do you suggest to uninstall both them?

Many thanks in advance

GianniGordon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GianniGordon

If I understand you correctly, you are asking whether to uninstall the old software from Programs and Features.

Yes, do uninstall the incompatible software packages > Reboot the computer and log in

Understand that if you were using HP SimplePass before the migration, you will lose the old SimplePass program itself plus the Websites / Passwords database that you had set up.

Losing old HP SimplePass is not a big deal:

• There is a new HP SimplePass program that MIGHT work depending your particular computer model, whether you have HP Drivers for Windows 10, and whether there are Windows 10 Updates for your model.
  • The new HP SimplePass program is not compatible with the old HP SimplePass program -- the websites / passwords are lost regardless.

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@GianniGordon

If I understand you correctly, you are asking whether to uninstall the old software from Programs and Features.

Yes, do uninstall the incompatible software packages > Reboot the computer and log in

Understand that if you were using HP SimplePass before the migration, you will lose the old SimplePass program itself plus the Websites / Passwords database that you had set up.

Losing old HP SimplePass is not a big deal:

• There is a new HP SimplePass program that MIGHT work depending your particular computer model, whether you have HP Drivers for Windows 10, and whether there are Windows 10 Updates for your model.
  • The new HP SimplePass program is not compatible with the old HP SimplePass program -- the websites / passwords are lost regardless.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon-Fur,

thank you for your kind answer.

Yes you have understood very well. So I proceed to uninstall the HP Connection Manager.

Regarding the Simple Pass I understand that is not a big deal loosing it but, in fact I have already lost it because it is not running after the migration process from Windows Seven to 10.

It looks like the migration process had "disabled" it but it has not been automatically uninstalled. So it is already present in  Programs and Features and my question is exactly if I can uninstall it.

And ... if there is not another Simple Pass to install in a secure way .... I won't use it.

Thank you again and Kind Regards,

GianniGordon

HP Recommended

@GianniGordon

You are welcome.

In general, the migration process will remove user installed programs and place the information in a file on your Desktop (Removed files or something similar).  In the case of programs installed in Programs and Features the program itself may not be removed.  In many cases, any program left on the system during the migration will not be functional to the huge amount of turmoil created by the change to the Operating System.

Unknown Product Number 

Edits 21Jan2017 -- Content removed - member reports he will not use HP SimplePass

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

I appreciate so much your very completed answer if probably it was a bit complicated for my knoledge, that is not broad.

Anyway, first of all,  I realized the fingerprint option to log on in windows is working. Just there is not a front end layout asking me the fingerprint as it was with the SimplePass. This means the fingerprint is managed directly by Windows and it has inherited the the fingerprint I originally registered using the SimplePass and, this why the SimplePass is not compatible with Windows 10. Well.

Now I do not need the SimplePass, even because in the user setrtings of Windows there are all the option to manage the fingerprints.

So I suppose  I should not need anymore all the instructions you so kindly gave me in your last answer. Could you confirm me this?

I checked the HP web site, maintenance section, on the base of the series number of my notebook (5CH1360640) and I verified there are not any drivers or HP software for Windows 10. All the software contained there is only for the original Windows 7, and the HP Connection Manager is not even present.

Just  to conclude this my issue, finally can I uninstall both the original SimplePass and Connection Manager?

Is this a useful step? Or there might be adverse effects? Or it is completely  irrelevant?

Have you kindly any suggestions on this point?

I thank you so much for everything.

Kind Regards,

Gianni Gordon

HP Recommended

@GianniGordon

Windows fingerprint logon manages account login to Windows.

I have edited my previous post and removed the information pertaining to HP SimplePass.

If you are not using a program, you may ininstall that program from the computer.

Please uninstall HP Connection Manager and HP SimplePass from Programs and Features.

When the uninstall process completes, Restart the computer and log in.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello Dragon-Fur,

so I tried to uninstall both the application in Program and Features-

SimplePass told me first of all to go in Control Panel to remove fingerprint. So I gave up ...

Connection Manager: the uninstallation procedure reported me "this app has been blocked by the administrator. For further information contact the administrator". But I'm the only user of my notebook with the complete priviledge, at least as far as I know ....

Who is the administrator of my notebook?

So it seem to me I have to keep borh these applications .....

Thank you so much for eveything.

Kind Regards,

GianniGordon

HP Recommended

@GianniGordon

You are welcome.

If there are not any unwanted side-effects, ignore both programs.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

To remove unwanted programs that won't "uninstall":

This is one of those examples of what might happen when existing programs are not removed prior to migrated the Operating System to a new version.  The same thing can happen when a program is damaged or otherwise compromised during normal operations (stuff happens).

The "administrator" is the account that provides Administrative privelege, that is, a user account with Account type Administrator.  

When the Operating System is migrated to a new version, if you are using a different "Admin" account to control / access the File System, programs that were not removed before the migration might still be under the control of the original account that installed that program.

Try using Revo Uninstaller Freeware

• Scroll down on the webpage > Select to download / install the free version of the  software
  • During download and / or installation watch out for tiny boxes that try to get you to install extra software, browser bars, or other "bits" -- Uncheck to avoid these extras.

Run the program > uninstall the HP Connection Manager

Run the program > uninstall HP SimplePass

Restart the computer and log in

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

If no joy - that is, Revo won't uninstall SimplePass:

The SimplePass program did not survive the migration process (expected); the program fingerprint database is apparently still tangled in the File System. 

The damaged database may be attached to the Sign-in options and / or your Browser(s).

If you wish to remove SimplePass, the following may work:

• First:  Ensure you can still log into Windows using your typed in password
  • Create a Restore Point
  • Windows key > Settings Settings_Wheel_2.JPG   > Accounts > Sign-in options > Under Fingerprint > Remove
  • Restart the computer and log in
  • Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > find, Right-Click, Uninstall SimplePass
  • Restart the computer and log in

Add fingerprints for Windows fingerprint logon:

• Windows key > Settings Settings_Wheel_2.JPG   > Accounts > Sign-in options > Under Fingerprint > Add fingerprint(s) for Windows fingerprint logon

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Good Luck and Happy Computing.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

well I have understood all the procedure to follow.

Just my account, that is me, has the type Administrator, I checked again this in the Settings .... maybe at a factory level these programs were inserted with a different account. Anyway no problem I seem these programs do not influence the system.

Thank you for everything again and for the Revo software suggestion.

My Kind Regards,

GianniGordon

P.S. Where is the post Accept as Solution to be click?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.