Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I recently opened my HP Pavilion G7 laptop in hopes of cleaning the cooling fan.  I removed the hard drive, RAM, wireless internet card, and battery.  I then could not remove the keyboard so I stopped and put everything back together.  Ever since I did that the laptop won't turn on at all.  I don't get an error message.  The light on the power button does not even light up.  Based on a post I saw here, I tried removing the hard drive, RAM, and battery again, and plugged the laptop into the wall.  Still nothing.  It seems like either I have a major problem or something related to the power button is not functioning.  Any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi Rmgold1118,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP Pavilion g7 Notebook and not starting. Here is a link to computer will not start troubleshooting document.

I would be happy to assist if needed as there are many models of HP Pavilion g7s, I would need the model number. How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I tried to hard reset my pavilion g7 but it didnt work any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi @papasmourf 

Try reseating the memory and the HDD.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Let me spook most of you! 
I just tried about everything that is on the forums, Reset, disconnecting memory etc etc. 

If that works for you - GREAT !!!

OTHERWISE - I can assure you that your motherboard has taken too much heat and likely your GPU-chip, or Video-Chip has lost contact on the solderpoints where it connects with the motherboard. This is a very common problem with laptops when the cooling gets less over the years due to dust, dirt, wear....  If one contact is loose on the mainboard then the PC will not start, boot at all. When pressing the Power-switch the system immediately goes in to fault, or block, since it detects a fail on the mainboard. (particularly AMD-processor types)

The resolution is to "fix" the solderpoints, or replace the motherboard/mainboard (expensive). There are 2 ways of doing this, but you will have to take your complete Pavilion apart !!! Only takes 1 screwdriver, a thin device like a guitar pick, or credit card and patience !!! Loon on Youtube for video's on how to take a g7 apart, there is also one good set of steps-pictures on a website.

Once you have the mainboard out - take the processor off with the fan, take all stickers off, the bios-battery and place it straight on alumnium foil. Pre-Heat your oven on 200 celsius, place the board in for 9 minutes. Let it cool off enough (pretty hot!!!) .... and put all together again. That is your last resort, hope, chance of getting some more milage out of your g7 !!!  No warranty of course, HP will never recommend this, or support this... BUT when all is lost, and little hope left.... just try it before throwing your laptop in the garbage !  By the way - if you do so, always take out your HD drive since you can get your data from the disc still !!!

HP Recommended

I know this Question is from 2010 but since HP is no help and other answers are way off I figured I would tell everyone how to actually fixed this problem. First start by removing battery for safety and then the back  panel  for the HDD/RAM next remove all screws marked for the keyboard, after that then use a very thin knife/tool to pop the keyboard from the laptop frame, after doing so I can almost guarantee that you will find that the ribbon cable for the power button has come undone,  finally slide the ribbon cable back into the contacts and clamp down (the cable is short so don't worry it should be obvious where it goes) then put everything back together and try the power.  If this truly was the problem I hope I helped =D 

HP Recommended

OMGoodness! Thank you! I worked on my laptop for hours going by other instructions. Went back in an found the tiny black piece was up at the On button ribbon. So tiny I never would have looked but for your post!! Thank you SO MUCH!!

HP Recommended

I am also having trouble with an HP g7-2215dx not having power. It has been working fine until yesterday, then it just would not turn on. The power adapter has power. I tried to go to the trouble shooting page you mentioned in your post but I get a 404 page not found error message. Please help!!! Thanks, Ken.

Ken
HP Recommended

Hi @disabled_vet,

Thank you for your inquiry. I will do my best to assist you. I grasp that you have two HP G7 notebooks that will not power on.The one was working fine until a few days ago. 

Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter. Please let me know the results.

Please click theThumbs Up” below to thank me for my efforts! If one of my posts help you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution" so that others who may be having the same difficulty can find the answer more efficiently. Thanks for taking part in the HP Forums!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

wow, am feeling so happy you just helped me out after couple of thought as to what was wrong with the computer system and now its workin just fine. thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.