Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi I am not very good with the technical side of Laptops so just wanted to ask a question here.

I have a HP Pavilion g6 laptop (Intel Core i3 processer, 4 GB RAM) that I bought in mid December 2011 but have only just started to use. I set it up properly today, created my recovery discs and installed Norton anti virus.

I noticed that I can hear air/a fan blowing constantly while using the laptop. There is a vent on the left side of the laptop and if I put my hand in front of it I can feel coolish air blowing out. But the laptop feels warm-hot in a couple of areas, particularly to the left of the touch pad (bottom left of keyboard) and underneath I can feel the heat around about the center of the laptop.

So my question is, well two questions actually... should I be hearing a fan or air blowing constantly while the laptop is in use? It's just when I use my mothers Dell laptop I do not hear any air or fan blowing while in use. Also is it normal for the above two areas to be hot even though all I am doing is browsing the internet? Currently I have Internet Explorer open, Windows Live Messenger and that's it. I don't even have any files, photos or videos saved on the laptop yet as it is brand new. I previously owned a HP laptop about 3 years ago and it ended up shutting down by itself because it would get so hot. I am worried the same thing will happen and that I should have avoided HP because it's a common thing to happen with their laptops?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
I unplugged the laptop from the mains about 10 minutes ago and it's been running off the battery since then. Since running off the battery it seems the area to the left of the touch pad has cooled slightly and is now just warm. The area on the underneath (center) has also cooled slightly, but the fan/blowing noise from left side vent is still going.

If only I had used it properly when I first bought it from the shop in December, I would have probably taken it back and got something different. Now having owned it for 4 months I would only be entitled to a repair if it's faulty.
HP Recommended

My fan runs all of the time too, by default I think. Normally a laptop throttles down a bit when running on battery only thus not generating as much heat. If your laptop seems to get uncomfortably warm when running on power you might consider a laptop cooling pad with fan.I use one under mine 99% of the time just to be cautious.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they have sent it to HP for repair. I am also having problems with the wireless so hope that will be sorted too.

HP Recommended

hi, i have a G6-1d60us (AMD core) and mine blows hot air from the vent ALOT, you shouldent feel heat under the scrollpad and it probally wont shut off (left mine on overnight to download 5GB of stuff) and belive it of not, when i turned it on in the moring, it was burning hot and had (only) a couple mb of ram left (all CPU meter by Addgadget)

And that vent is better then something with a exhaust underneath my last laptop [compaq something something] was pratically noiseless, but leave it on your lap for 20 min. and its buring hot!

*PS* anyone else who KEPT their G6 series, try raising your laptop with 2 2x4 on the sides, I think the intake is on the bottem ( 2 near the battery, 2 right of the SD card slot and 3.5mm jacks)

HP Recommended

it blows hot air from the side as the vent is on the bottom but when its on your lap it cant and the fan is always on due to a bios setting called fan always on to stop this press esc as the computer first loads then a menu should pop up click f10 and somewhere in there it should have a fan always on setting click disabled and then f10 to save and continue boot but i would recommend keeping this feature always on its on for a reason obviously 😛

HP Recommended

Hp laptops are really good. they have a good finish to it.

however the heating seems to be a problem. it would be rather off handed to suggest a cooling pad. however this problem can only be reversed with an effective cooling pad. there are no softwares that can stop the heating and cutting back on your application is not of much help. 

buy a Cpad with the fan located next to the vent

good luck

HP Recommended

i have same POS lap top.  when mine starts to blow hot air out the side..i vacuum the intake vent on bottom and its good again for about a week.  dust really bugers up these POS Lap tops.will never buy a HP again..lousy after sales support. when i phoned HP for help. i always get people i can hardly understand.? 

HP Recommended

when i type a word..it takes a fee seconds for the word to appear?  whats up with that.i tryed calling HP>  the guy with the real bad accent said its off warrenty and he cant help unless i give him my CC number.im not doing that..  so  asking here.

please email me suggestions..   not sure if get these messages.   [personal informaiton removed]          thanks      Ken

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.