Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

My laptop was working fine last night, but this morning I tried to turn it on but the charge light just flashes a few times when I press the on button.

This symptom is the same as when the battery is flat, but I've plugged the charger in and still no joy. I've tried turning it on and pressing F4, and also removing the battery and AC power and pressing the on button for 20-30 seconds. Both have not worked.

The battery was holding charge fine before hand, so it just seems strange that it suddenly stopped working. Sadly, I don't have a multimeter to check whether power is coming from the AC adapter.

Any help would be gratefully received.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
Try removing the battery and connecting in the power adapter before pressing the power button. this will test to see if your power adapter is working properly. Your notebook should start without a battery installed.

Please identify your dv7 in the same fashion I identify mine in my signature. Include all alphanumeric characters.

is your notebook still within the standard one year warranty period? Look at the barcoded sticker on the bottom of your laptop.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico, thanks for your quick reply.

I have tried to use the AC adapter without the battery inserted in the laptop, but still no joy. Would this indicate and issue with the AC pack, rather than the motherboard or laptop?

I am currently working and can't get to my laptom at the moment, so I will have to advise the full model number later tonight.

Thanks again

Graham

HP Recommended

@gmt1981 wrote:

Erico, thanks for your quick reply.

I have tried to use the AC adapter without the battery inserted in the laptop, but still no joy. Would this indicate and issue with the AC pack, rather than the motherboard or laptop? It could be the battery loader and power control chip on the motherboard. If you have access to another known working power adapter (charger) give it a try.

I am currently working and can't get to my laptom at the moment, so I will have to advise the full model number later tonight.

Thanks again

Graham

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

If it makes any difference, the model number is DV7 - 3111ea.

Will have to borrow a multimeter on the weekend and see if its the charger as a first point of approach

HP Recommended

I will have to advise the full model number later tonight.

HP Recommended

I have a dv6815nr (out of warranty) that has the same problem. When I press the power button, the power light and 9 blue lights across the top of the keyboard, flash on and off until I release the power button. I tried a different ac power adapter and I tried taking the battery out.

HP Recommended
I have the same problem. My model# Is LW174UAB#ABA. The batery is charging and everything els is dead. It was working Fine last night. Woke up and It seams dead. Tried It with The batery Off, and nothing.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilions just like all the HP laptops are full of manufacturing defects! I have been repairing computers for over 20 years and I have never seen a product with more problems Than an HP Notebook! My advice to everyone that owns one is to cut your loses and go buy a Lenovo! Best laptop I have ever seen!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. The laptop can only boot up by battery, but cannot boot up by power supply. Also I have the same blinking charging light (with white then orange) but battery won't charge.

I got static shock when I touched the keyboard last time, not sure if it break the chip on mother board.

Did you resolve this problem? Any luck with new charger?

Thank you for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.