Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-e020ca
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

So in my Windows Update settings I have an "Important Hp Wireless Button Driver Update" which was published on "8/14/2015", but every time I try installing it I get the error "80070436" immediately. I also noticed that in the Device Manager I have an Unknown "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" Device which when driver updated, says:

" Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it

Hp Wireless Button Driver

The name is already in use as either a serveice name or a service display name"

I'm pretty much trying to update to Windows 8.1, but everytime the update fails and I'm thinking its because of this.

All answers appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey @BlueFireZX

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I am glad that you joined us! 

When we have come to a resolution, please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as an Accepted Solution. If you would like to show your appreciation for my efforts today, please take a second to click the Thumbs Up button below.

Have you tried to uninstall those unknown devices and restart your Notebook twice to see if they reappear?

Have you tried using the HP Support Assistant to bring in any drivers that need updating?

Have you tried to do a clean boot?

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update. 

Have you tried to use the Windows Update Troubleshooter? If not, please follow these steps:

1. Exit Windows Update

2. Wait 10  minutes

3. Restart Windows Update.

4. Press Check for Updates.

5. Turn on Windows Automatic Update

6. Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Here is a thread from Microsoft called Unable to perform windows update error 80070436

Please re-post and let me know the detailed results of all the troubleshooting steps.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi, I have scoured the support community and continue to have this same issue regardless of what I try.

This driver issue is preventing Windows 8 from upgrading to Windows 8.1.

I have walked through all the steps found here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-perform-windows-update-error-80070436...

No joy.

I have also walked through the steps found here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/unable-to-successfully-in...

Also no joy.

About the best I've been able to accomplish is to download a .cab file for the driver but can't figure out how to add it.  I h've tried to install via the Package Manager but it says the file can't be found even though it is right there.

I also tried to add via the Device Manager but unfortunately the HP Wireless Button Driver doesn't seem to correspond with any hardware listed in the device manager... 

This is incredibly frustrating and based on the search via support... this has been an issue that clearly has been a problem for the HP product line.

Would greatly appreciate a complete 1.2.3 process for fixing this problem rather than random references to third party links...

HP Recommended

Wow two years have gone by since this post and still no help... amazing. Sadly I am now having the same issue, I mean the exact same issue as you BlueFireZX. I pulled my older HP out of the closet since my more up to date one crashed and burned a few weeks ago.

Anyway my old HP 2000 Notebook is still kicking and awesome after booting it up for the first time since 2015. I finally got through 271 updates when I hit a brick wall with updating from Windows 8 to 8.1.

It won't let me update then when I try to install the HP -  HIDClass - 7/25/2015 12:00am - 1.1.7.1 update it fails. I also believe it is the cause of me not being able to update to 8.1. I'm not buying a new laptop to replace my burnt out one any tim soon, so until then I am using my HP with WIndows 8.

Would really love to update to 8.1 so has anyone ever found a real solution to this issue? I have tried all and I mean all of the so called fixes from clean boot, to windows update truobleshooter, to .cab files, and many more.... all of which left me with the same problem after hours and hours of trying this so called fixes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.