Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 AC-xxxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whilst I am happy with the laptop, one of the features that I'd like to change is the mapping of the Function Keys. 

On the Spectre Keyboard, there is F1-12 and on each key, it's by default, mapped to a hardware function (i.e mute, volume up, brightness down, backlight keyboard on/off etc.).

As I find myself mostly using the context/program assigned F1-12 functions (i.e F5 in Chrome to refresh), not the hardware assigned functions (F5 on keyboard to toggle backlighting of keyboard, it becomes frustrating to have to press to 'fn' key to achieve this each time. 

Is there a way to retain the hardware function mapping and make them require the pressing of "fn" to invoke and set the default of function keys tofunction based o nthe software/context. 

As I would like to still turn the keyboard backlight on and off, a viable solution isn't to remove the hardware Fn mapping. 

I hope this makes sense! 

Cheers,

Ash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@aval1

Please try

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c02035108

I hate that too. We use F1-F12 most of the times but we use docking stations and external keyboards.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@aval1

Please try

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c02035108

I hate that too. We use F1-F12 most of the times but we use docking stations and external keyboards.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Excellent! This is absolutely the solution. 

I also noticed i nthe same BIOS screen an option to change the reporting of how long the battery has left, as to date I only say this as a percentage. For other readers, feel free to change this setting as it's quite useful to know how much usage time you have left as opposed to power left (represented only as a percentage).

Also, it may be worthwhile updating the documentaiton to make it clear that you need to spam Esc to use BIOS. I knew it, but others may spam F10 on each reboot, only to repeatedly land at W10 sign in screen.

Best wishes,

Ash 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.