Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion ab523tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a software which requires me to use Ctrl + Alt + R as a hotkey for a process but i'm not being able to use it as every time i press Ctrl + Alt + R Recovery Manager opens. Please help to disable it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @dubalharsh,

Give this a shot:

1. Use the Windows search box in the taskbar to search for "HP Recovery Manger."

2. Right-click HP Recovery Manager in the search results, and click Open file location.

3. In the File Explorer window, click once to select HP Recovery Manager, then right-click and select Properties.

4. In the Shortcut tab, clear the entry in the Shortcut key field. Right now apparently it is Ctrl + Alt + R -- clicking the field and pressing the delete key should change the value to None.

I hope that helps.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi @dubalharsh,

Give this a shot:

1. Use the Windows search box in the taskbar to search for "HP Recovery Manger."

2. Right-click HP Recovery Manager in the search results, and click Open file location.

3. In the File Explorer window, click once to select HP Recovery Manager, then right-click and select Properties.

4. In the Shortcut tab, clear the entry in the Shortcut key field. Right now apparently it is Ctrl + Alt + R -- clicking the field and pressing the delete key should change the value to None.

I hope that helps.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am running into the same problem as the O.P.

I have software that uses Ctrl-Alt-R as a hotkey, but HP Recovery Manager keeps interrupting them.

I've tried the solution you've posted here, but the shortcut key menu already lists "None."

- I've tried looking for ways to disable HP software shortcut keys -- nothing.
- I've tried switching BIOS settings -- no effect.
- I've tried entering a new shortcut in the "shortcut key" dialog -- Ctrl-Alt-R still takes me to Recovery Manager ON TOP OF the new shortcut I tried to replace it with.

It's taken me hours of Google searching to find this topic, and I was about to make my own when I figured I'd reply here.

- HP Pavilion Notebook- Serial: [Personal Information Removed]
- Product # : T9Y45AV
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit

HP Recommended

@FuturCel

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and understand that you would like to  disable the Recovery Manager Hotkey combination i.e. Ctrl + Alt + R. I read that you have tried the troubleshooting steps from the previous post and it did not work. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job. Maybe I can help you here.

Method 1: Disable Win + keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10 through Group Policy Editor

Step 1: Type gpedit in the Search and then click Edit group policy. This will open Local Group Policy Editor.

open gpedit

Step 2: Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer. In the right-side pane, find Turn off Windows + X hotkeys and double click on it.

Turn off Windows + X hotkeys

Step 3: Check Unabled and click OK.

Check Enabled

Step 4: Restart the computer to make the settings take effect. Then Win + hotkeys will turn off in your Windows 10.

Method 2: Disable Win + keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10 with Registry Editor

Step 1: Press Win + R to bring up Run dialog box. Type regedit and click OK. This will open Registry Editor.

open regedit

Step 2: Navigate to the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. In the right side pane, right click on the blank area and click New > DWORD(32-bit) to create a new key.

Create new key

Step 3: Name the new key NoWinKeys and double click on it. Set its value to 1, and click OK.

Set value

Step 4: Close Registry Editor and restart Windows 10 to make the settings take effect. Then Win + hotkeys feature will be disabled.

I sincerely hope this helps. Feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, Kazi!

First of all, let me say thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if I'd get one on a forum labeled "Solved."

My issue is not with Windows keyboard shortcuts, however. (such as Win + D or Win + R)
It is specifically with the shortcut to HP Recovery Manager (Ctrl + Alt + R), which I can't seem to get rid of.

Just for kicks, I tried your solutions anyway (just to be sure) and it only disabled shortcuts involving the Windows (Win) key.

Ctrl + Alt + R still takes me to the HP Recovery Manager, as before.

Is there a way to disable HP software-specific shortcuts? (or at least make them optional?) I don't care to remove the software; it's fine. I just want to toggle off (or disable, if necessary) the shortcut for HP Recovery Manager (and maybe any other HP-specific shortcuts I don't yet know about) so that I can better manage the keyboard shortcuts within the media software I use frequently.

HP Recommended

@FuturCel

You are welcome. 🙂 Thanks for replying with the results. 

I suggest you to refresh the Windows 10 operating system and then try the steps again to clear the entry in the Shortcut key field.

Please follow the steps from this link to refresh Windows. A Refresh will not delete any data from your laptop. The link contains steps for Windows 8, but they are the same for Windows 10 as well: http://hp.care/2e7EE00.

Once the Windows OS is refreshed, please try to clear the entry in the Shortcut key field. Hope this helps. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

No.  This doesn't work.  We don't want to disable all Windows hot keys, just Ctrl-Alt-R.

Please post a real solution.

The solution that you posted above doesn't work because, as has already been said, the shortcut key in the Properties the Recovery Manager file is already set to "None."

HP Recommended

Bump!  This question is still not solved.

HP Recommended

I apologize for the late response....

I haven't refreshed Windows, but I already know that contingency won't work.
I'm planning to contact HP support directly through live chat so I can better explain the issue. (That worked out well the last time I tried it, and much more helpful than this thread has been.)

HP Recommended

I've now spoken with HP support a few times, and they did not have any useful suggestions.  They state repeatedly that it's a Windows/Microsoft issue.  I believe that they believe this, but as we see in the thread above, it's not true.

This problem continues unsolved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.