Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, i have bought a new HP laptop pavilion g4 2049tx model. I downloaded all drivers and also the BIOS.

As written on website the bios is new f.22 and i checked that my current bios is f.13 , this shows that i can update my bios.

Now that i have downloaded the bios setup sp 60109 , i clicked on it and then came some unpacking and it opened up insyde flash. It asked for current bios version & id and new bios version & id in boxes but i can't type anything. Other buttons i could find are start flash and quit.

I pressed quit but then i clicked on bios setup again, this time it asked whether to over write files and i clicked on yes. Then i got little more files than before extracted into the folder and c driver including the flashbios.exe

I know updating to latest bios is always good but there are also fine chances to brick my laptop. I have used winflash earlier to update bios on other laptop but i don't understand how to do it on insydeflash.

Can someone help me update my bios and also suggest if it's safe to do with insydeflash though latest is good to have?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you let me know the following.

What operating system are you using?

Do you have the HP_TOOLS partition present?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

The operating system i'm using is windows 8 pro 64-bit.

No i don't have a hp tools partition( quiet sure ) because the laptop came with free-dos and i installed my os later.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you wish to update the bios, I'd suggest creating the HP_TOOLS partition as this will allow the bios flash to run in an UEFI environment which is a much safer option than running it in Windows.

You can create this partition by downloading and running the installer on the following link - during the installation, select to create the partition on the Hard Drive.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58001-58500/sp58404.exe

When created, restart the notebook.

When windows has fully reloaded, download and run the bios installation file from the following link.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60001-60500/sp60109.exe

Instead of the flash running in Windows, after the file has extracted, you will be prompted to restart the notebook - the flash will then take place in the UEFI environment before loading into Windows.  Once started, do not interrupt the process in any way.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

That's fine.. uhmm can i delete the hp_tools partition after the process is over?

Regarding bios it already extracted everything into my c:\SWSetup\sp60109 after i ran it second time. Do i need the delete this folder and run it again..? After it shows the insyde flash screen what should i do? All i can see is start flash, exit and boxes below current bios id and version, same way for new bios where i can put my cursor but can't type anything.

HP Recommended

PS: Please let me know if i really have to update my BIOS. Currently cpu-z shows that i have F.13 insyde bios. Since the laptop is new there are no problems.Should i go for it? Y/N  I know it can brick the laptop.

Neverthless explain me the procedure of how to use insydeflash to update bios.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Personally, if the update doesn't correct a problem you're experiencing or add extra functionality that you require, I would not update the Bios.

Regarding the bios installation software, the boxes you mention are populated by the installer, there's nothing you should, or are able, enter here.

If you still want to proceed with the flash, maybe the easiest option, once you've created the HP_TOOLS partition is to download and install HP Support Assistant from the following link.

HPSA Installer.

During the installation of HPSA, you will be asked how you wish the program to apply updates - choose the option that lets you choose which updates to apply.

When installed, launch HPSA and get it to check for all available updates - once the list is prepared, enter a checkmark against the Bios Update only and then click Download - when HPSA has downloaded and unpacked the file, you will get a prompt to restart the notebook.   At restart, the notebook will enter the UEFI environment and the flash will take place - there may be a couple or so restarts after this, but then the notebook will load into Windows.

If you wish, HPSA can then be uninstalled and HP_TOOLS can be removed in the same way as any other partition.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thank you very much , i might try bcoz it provides additional functionality..
HP Recommended
I installed the uefi support and i don't see the hp_tools partition?
HP Recommended

Prior to installation of the uefi support (sp58404) i checked in partition , there are 2 more drives other than logical drives.One says recovery 300mb and other efi 100mb.

So even after i installed sp58404 i didn't see the hp_tools partition in my computer after restarting laptop.

Anyways, i successfully updated my bios to f.22 . The fan ran really loud at full swing for about 5-10 min during the install and flash got over. Now, i will safely uninstall hp support assistant from add/remove...

How do i get to remove hp_tools partition as you said.? I can find only my 3 logical partitions and the dvd rom in My computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.