Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to add an account for my kids to access the computer however everytime I go to add a family member, the window pops up and says "something went wrong try agiain or select cancel to set up your device later."  (See image below)  I try to add a non family member account and get the same result.  Any ideas?

-Thomas

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

1. On Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional editions:
    1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.  
    2. Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next. You're done!
  2. On Windows 10 Enterprise edition:
    1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Other people > Add someone else to this PC.
    2. At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and at the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    3. Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next. You're done! 

I would suggest you to run Microsoft account troubleshooter and check if it helps. This troubleshooter will detect and fix some common issues with Microsoft account.

Microsoft Account Troubleshooter

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

1. On Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional editions:
    1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.  
    2. Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next. You're done!
  2. On Windows 10 Enterprise edition:
    1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Other people > Add someone else to this PC.
    2. At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information, and at the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
    3. Enter a user name, password, password hint, and then select Next. You're done! 

I would suggest you to run Microsoft account troubleshooter and check if it helps. This troubleshooter will detect and fix some common issues with Microsoft account.

Microsoft Account Troubleshooter

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to create a kids account and even go online to adjust settings.  However when I try to log into my kids account from the log in screen, I get this result. After running the trouble shooter, it fails at first to find an internet connection but when i click try again, it works fine.

IMG_6382.JPG

HP Recommended

@PhelpsHelps1

Welcome to HP Forums, 

this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand there had been trouble creating an user account until our experts helped you out,

Now, there are issues using the internet until you click on "Try again" to get the troubleshooter working.

Just to clarify, was that a one time deal and now the internet is working fine or do you have to run the troubleshooter each time you attempt to use the internet?

Does the internet work fine on the other user accounts?

Eager to help, please reply with the answers for further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Everything works fine on my Administrator account, this was the only account I've had for years.  I now have added an account for my kids after the first resonse to my initial post, now that I have the new account, I cannot sign into it.  Not sure what is driving the internet issue with the troubleshooter, my internet connection is fine and like i mentioned it works fine once I click the try again button.

HP Recommended

@PhelpsHelps1

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts,

Check to see if there is a security program blocking the connection, hitting the try again may be disabling it as a part of the troubleshooter routine,

Manually disable firewall settings and try restarting the PC,

Also check for the account privilege settings, if the internet access is limited or disabled: Click here for details.

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that i may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions)

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.