Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Notebook PC

I’ve had my computer for a while and it’s started slowing down in general. Is there anything I can do to make it faster?

Bill

I am an HP employee
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There’s a variety of steps you can take to improve performance on your computer and make it run faster. First off, I would recommend checking your hard drive space – you should have at least 15% free space available, preferably more for best performance. If you have a lot of large media files (movies, photos, music) stored on your hard drive, moving those to an external hard drive can help speed things up. Also empty your recycle bin to free up space. Here are some other tips:

• Update software and drivers using HP Support Assistant and Windows Update
  • Update the BIOS
  • Defragment the hard drive (do NOT defrag if your computer has a solid state drive [SSD], because this can damage it)
  • Run a virus scan and remove viruses/spyware
  • Close any apps you aren’t actively using, and try not to leave a lot of things open at once
  • Use Task Manager to identify what is using the most system resources
  • Clean the computer fans and vents to reduce heat
  • Upgrade memory

These solutions are explained in detail, along with other helpful suggestions, in the following troubleshooter:

Computer Is Slow

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There’s a variety of steps you can take to improve performance on your computer and make it run faster. First off, I would recommend checking your hard drive space – you should have at least 15% free space available, preferably more for best performance. If you have a lot of large media files (movies, photos, music) stored on your hard drive, moving those to an external hard drive can help speed things up. Also empty your recycle bin to free up space. Here are some other tips:

• Update software and drivers using HP Support Assistant and Windows Update
  • Update the BIOS
  • Defragment the hard drive (do NOT defrag if your computer has a solid state drive [SSD], because this can damage it)
  • Run a virus scan and remove viruses/spyware
  • Close any apps you aren’t actively using, and try not to leave a lot of things open at once
  • Use Task Manager to identify what is using the most system resources
  • Clean the computer fans and vents to reduce heat
  • Upgrade memory

These solutions are explained in detail, along with other helpful suggestions, in the following troubleshooter:

Computer Is Slow

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello Bill_f 

one of the best solutions to upgrade your HDD to SSD then you will see your computer work much faster rather than now.

I dit in my computer 5 years old and now it's working as like i7 processor computer  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.