Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello, everyone!

For a couple of weeks ago my laptop keyboard started to give me two characters for some of my keys. This is what happens:

q becomes 1q

w - 2w

e - 3e

r - 4r

u - 7u

i - 8i

o - 9o

p - 0p

1 -1q 

2 - 2w

3 - 3e

4 - 4r

7 - 7u

8 - 8i

9 - 9o

0 - 0p

And the arrows are acting strange.

Sometimes it does suddenly work correctly, but will soon go back to "the bad mode". My laptop (Compaq Presario CQ61) is just over one year old. What should I do? Should I do a recovery?

PS. 8I had a ha4rd t8im3e 2w4r8it8ing th8is.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Oh, and I have Ubuntu at dualboot. The keyboard didn't work correctly there either.

HP Recommended

Did you get this fixed? My daughter's G50 is having the same problem...

HP Recommended

No, unfortunately not : ( 

Someone told me it could be something wrong with the motherboard, so I'm just using an external keyboard at the moment. 

You havn't pressed the 'Num Lock' button, have you? 

HP Recommended

Have you tried pressing FN+Num Lock?

Also try to reset the bios settings...

• restart the computer
  • keep on tapping F2 on the HP logo
  • once you're on the etup utility page, press F9 to load the default settings
  • press F10 to save and exit the window
  • check the functionality

If still the same, try to update the bios

• go to www.hp.com
  • key in your product key on the search box, press enter
  • click the software and driver downloads link on the right pane of the window
  • download and install the BIOS driver, check if you are using AMD or Intel Processor, just follow the prompts to finish the installation

Hope this will work for you!

***click Kudos if this helped***

Technician
HP Recommended

I have HP Envy DV6 model the same issue persist with me too. And i am not able resolve any means suggested on this thread. It's really annoying to use external keyboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.