Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Please help me!!!! I love my new-ish HP Pavilion g6, except for one extremely irritating thing. There seem to be keyboard "shortcuts" that I don't know how to turn off. Often (and I mean at least once or twice per day), I'll be entering text either into a web page or a Word document, happily, obliviously typing away... when all of a sudden, I'll look up at my screen and I have apparently yet again hit some myterious and magical combination of keys, and I'm either on a new website or I'm in the address bar of Chrome or Firefox, and there is the rest of the sentence I was just typing. I have lost a ton of online data entry this way, and it throws me off when I'm writing in Word (I'm a researcher and writer, so it's important that I am able to keep my concentration).

I read somewhere that there are Windows shortcuts, and maybe that's the problem and it's not the laptop. I have Windows 7 now, and with my last laptop, a Compaq, I had Vista. And I never ever, not one time, had a problem even close to resembling this. It's gotten so bad that I've considered getting an entirely new laptop, because I'm tired of losing my posts and having my work interrupted! This morning I lost a somewhat important message to someone I was writing on FB, and I felt like throwing the computer at the wall. And please don't tell me I should write FB messages in Word first, then cut and paste them. I don't want to have to do that - I want my laptop to stop taking me places I don't want to go!!! 

Please, please, someone help me!

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

As you said it opens your browser (Chrome/Firefox) you must be accidentally hitting Action Keys on the Notebook. To disable this kindly refer below link for more info.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

Note:

On Old Notebooks, FN key is required for action keys to work by default and on newer models its vice-versa

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

did you ever solve this problem?? I'm having the same problem (multiple times a day) and cannot find a fix!

HP Recommended

I also am wondering if you ever found an answer to this problem.  As well as doing the keyboard "shortcut" thing, my keys will also lock, and when I hit them they will beep instead of typing the letter!  I have only had this laptop for a week, and would be so sad to have to return it, but don't want to get past the return window and have to deal with it long term!!!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and the suggested fix was not the correct solution.  how do I stop it from happening or what are the keys that turn it back off.  I am not sure what I am even doing to turn it on.  so far the only fix is to restart the laptop and I am getting very annoyed with doing that all the time. 

HP Recommended

the fix is basically right except when the computer starts press esc then you get an options thing and you press f10 for bios the rest of the instructions are right, no more accidentaly brightening/ dimming the screen or turning wireless off for me!

HP Recommended

hI have tried that and that is not the fix.... That yes turn off the shortcut keys.  But the problem is the regular keys stop working... you cant type..... b becomes a key for bookmark, p print and so on.  The only way to get my keyboard working again is to restart the computer.  It is very frusterating and I would love to know how to make it stop.   

HP Recommended

Yes, I'm having the exact same problem, too. Any time I try to type in the address bar of a Chrome window, (or even just typing something into Google search field), my HP Folio 13 starts pulling up all kinds of windows, search commands, etc. I can't type anything

Please help, I've had this laptop for all of 2 hours, and I can't make this stop. 

HP Recommended

UPDATE to my post on 10/1/12:

After speaking with HP, they advised me to ship my Folio back so they could replace the keyboard. I got it back after three days, and it seems to be working fine now.

HP Recommended

How do you turn off this **bleep** on screen keyboard and why would HP design a system where it's so **bleep** hard to turn of!!?? Hmmmm?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.