Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot believe that my second new computer keeps crashing as the first one did (4 days wasted resetting etc. -on second machine now - still bad). Any ideas anyone? Please help (no sleep...). By the way, I have the device resting on a kind of oven grill shelf on top of my table to raise it in case of overheating!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thank you for your time akkie3000. Just to let you know things are working now. Hope it stays that way!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Did you do a clean installon this device, or is it runninf the factory image?

If you are running the factory image, you can try updating the BIOS, and updating the drivers. When updating drivers for any HP computer, the HP Support Assistant could come in handy.

HP Recommended
Thank you for your reply. These devices came new out of the box from a store. I will not be trying to tweak things better myself, but wondering what on earth has happened to explain why two brand new Sppectres do not work properly. Is there some issue?
HP Recommended

I understand. However: updating drivers or updating the BIOS is not going to void your warranty. HP even made a tool (Support Assistant) for it, so that users can do this themselves. The BIOS update takes a little extra care, so I would see that as a last resort.

The problem could be two things: hardware, or software (sometimes the user is the problem, but not in this case I assume :smileyhappy:). If there is a bug in the BIOS, or in the drivers that it comes preinstalled with, you could run into these problems with multiple notebooks. They have the same image installed. That is why I think updating these would be a good idea to start with.

Secondly, it could be a hardware defect, which I hope not. I can't help you if its a hardware defect (someone on here from HP can), but I can help you to determine whether it is soft- or hardware.

HP Recommended
Thank you! Just for your information, there is no recognisable cause for the crashes, they occur randomly and have multiple random symptoms.How might I perform the updates you suggest? The trouble is - I have to get some sleep!
HP Recommended

Lets do the driver updates first, and if that doesn't work we will take a look at the error information Windows should give you.

You can download the Support Assistant from here: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_ww/en/any/pps/pl...

Perform the installation, follow the steps (should be easy) and start looking for updates. Please post a screenshot of the updates it found, that is useful information for us 🙂

HP Recommended

I downloaded the Support Assistant from your link even though I think I have the latest version (very new machine). Trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about, even though I don't: I think I installed a couple of firmware updates and flashed the BIOS. On restart, I touched the power icon on the taskbar to check battery status. The computer crashed. Luckily I have configured the power button to shut down, and it always seems to work, but when pushed again the device seems to start too quickly. Will have to sleep soon - maybe the wretched saga will go on and on...(Thanks again for your help - feel free to suggest other solutions!)

HP Recommended

Hmm, were all the performed updates succesful? BIOS updates don'n always install via teh Support Assistant.

What happens when it "crashes"? Does it show a blue screen, or does it just turn black? if possible, provide us with a screenshot of the error you get.

If the computer still responds to the power button action, it seems that Windows is still running fine, just the display isn't functioning correctly any more.

Get some sleep now then, it is better to work on a problem with a fresh mind! 😉

HP Recommended

Will be sleeping soon but have to try to let you know the extent of this first - you have been so kind. I have lost track of the number of times I have seen a small window displaying: "The application is not responding, if you wait it may respond...etc, etc.". The name of the application concerned... Microsoft Windows!!! There are all kinds of crash symptoms, too numerous, random and varied to detail, but I am using the machine at this moment, so it can work at times!

HP Recommended
Thank you for your time akkie3000. Just to let you know things are working now. Hope it stays that way!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.