Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook folio 1020G
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi there.

I have a new EliteBook folio 1020G, and I want the system to ask me a power-on password before launching windows (8.1). I was able to enter the bios and to set a password, but I remained unable to set the bios to ask me for the password when I switch the computer on. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Cheers, Eric.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Press the power button and then immediately begin tapping the F10 key.

That should invoke the BIOS. 

Click on the Security tab.

Click on Power-On Password and then set one.

Press the F10 key to save the changes. 

Excellent first name, by the way.  😉

Do not forget your password!  At least write it down and put it in a secure location.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks, but did you really read my question?

I said that I already entered the BIOS setup, and that I already set a password..

At least in the bios version that is on my (new) computer, there is no such an option as "power-on password". At least I can't see it.

The password I entered is only used (and useful) for entering the BIOS setup.

Any other idea?

HP Recommended

That means that you setup the Administrator password. 

I have not seen a PC or desktop in memory that did not have a Power-on password.

Can you take a digital image of the BIOS security screen and post it here?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Here it is (and thanks for your time)!

bios.jpg

HP Recommended

It is a tad difficult to see if that is the security tab. I do see that there is no power-on password visible.

What is the installed BIOS version?

What is the installed operating system and its architecture (32 or 64-bit)?

Is your folio the 13-1020G1 version?

I suggest removing the admin password first and then upgrading to a more current version of the BIOS, if the installed BIOS is the original version or an early one.

The following BIOS versions are available at the driver download section of the HP support portal if your notebook is the HP folio 13-1020G1.

HP Recommended

If I look at System information, I have:

Product name: HP ElitBook Folio 1020 G1 (and that's all).

Current System BIOS Version: M77 Ver. 01.11

Current BIOS Release Date: 01/18/2016

The Installed BIOS is the one that was installed when I got the computer. And the computer is new and was bought about 10 days ago.

Hence, I guess I currently have the most recent version.

I have WIndows 8.1 (64 bits)

What do you think?

Thanks again for your time & patience,

Eric.

HP Recommended

Well, I am progressing.

The trick to to go to the BIOS and to create another BIOS User account (several can be created). If a (BIOS) user is created, then the system requests (finally) a power-on password for this (these) user(s).

Pfff..

(this looks tricky and I spent hours on that!)

I assume this is closing the case.

Thanks for your help on this

Eric.

HP Recommended

Yes. 

Well this has been a learning experience for myself as well.

I have never encountered that requirement before.  

Now we know.  🙂

HP Recommended

Hello!

I have the problem in the opposite way.

Administrator password IS set,  post power-on password is NOT.

But it keeps asking for BIOS administartor pass during startup.

You can skip it, but it is not possibe, when you are in a remote session for example.

I think normal behavior is that it only asks when you want to enter BIOS setting.

Any ideas, how to get rid of it? Disabling Bios Admin password is not a recommended option.  :Wink:

Thank you very much

HP ProBook 430 G3

N78 Ver. 01.06  BIOS version

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.