Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Im posting this to find out if anyone can help me with my problem. I let a familiy member use my computer for school and when I got it back they had downloaded windows 10. I had Windows 8.1. My question is can I restore my computer back the way it was before they downloaded windows 10? The computer has been having a lot of issues since the download of windows 10. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

cristalhamm

The only honest answer is -- maybe!!

While Microsoft tells you that there is no risk in the Win10 Upgrade, because they let you believe that you can always revert back to your original OS and setup within 30 days, the ugly faction of the matter is that the Win10 GoBack function has proven to be unreliable -- and when it fails, it can leave machines in a corrupted state -- which doesn't always happen, but it does happen often enough to be a problem and you won't get any warning in advance that it is going to trash your PC!

If that happens, then the only recourse then will be to order HP Recovery Media and reset your PC to its orignal state -- but this will remove all applications, settings, and data in the process -- so you will want to save off anything you want to keep.

To do the Win10 Rollback, follow these directions:  How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10 | Teching It Easy: with Windows

Once you have your PC back to Win8.1, then use this app to prevent it from upgrading to Win10 again: GRC | Never10  

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

cristalhamm

The only honest answer is -- maybe!!

While Microsoft tells you that there is no risk in the Win10 Upgrade, because they let you believe that you can always revert back to your original OS and setup within 30 days, the ugly faction of the matter is that the Win10 GoBack function has proven to be unreliable -- and when it fails, it can leave machines in a corrupted state -- which doesn't always happen, but it does happen often enough to be a problem and you won't get any warning in advance that it is going to trash your PC!

If that happens, then the only recourse then will be to order HP Recovery Media and reset your PC to its orignal state -- but this will remove all applications, settings, and data in the process -- so you will want to save off anything you want to keep.

To do the Win10 Rollback, follow these directions:  How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10 | Teching It Easy: with Windows

Once you have your PC back to Win8.1, then use this app to prevent it from upgrading to Win10 again: GRC | Never10  

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.