Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This past weekend at the airport security, my laptop fell off the belt and since then my date & time have not functioned correctly. I'm not getting an error message that my searches have revealed people sometimes get about the CMOS battery, but the date & time do not update from my computer is shut down, goes into sleep mode, goes into screen saver, etc.

In trying to locate the battery I found it on my Pavilion g6 laptop after I took off the bottom panel. However, unlike other models that I've seen in various youtube videos, the CMOS battery in my pavilion g6 is not fully visible as seen in the below picture.

cmos.png

There appears to be tape over it and part of the batter is still a bit obscured. I also don't know if after I get this tape off I have to replace that tape or if it's there as a backup to keep it in place (I'm told by some friends that the battery just pops in there).

Since I can't find guides for my specific HP laptop model, I bring the question here to hopefully get some help. Can I just cut that tape off, take that battery out, replace it with another CR2032 and everything will be fine?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

What is your specific model? The g6 Manuals I can find do not show the CMOS battery in that location. I do tend to agree with your friends that the black ribbon is not critical to hold the CMOS battery in place. There is a clip just to the right of your fingertip. The top of the battery goes in first and then it snaps down into the clip at the bottom of the slot. To remove you take a small screwdriver and gently move the clip down toward the bottom of the picture and the battery bottom should pop up so you can remove. 

Having said that, I doubt the fall killed the CMOS battery and replacing it is not likely to cure the problem. Still for a couple bucks it is worth the try. 

HP Recommended

Yeah the laptop was in my backpack when it fell so it was cushioned slightly but based on the timing of that happening and the problem starting right after, I don't think whatever the actual problem may be is pure coincidence but I figure with how cheap the battery is, it's a good place to start. Product# is LM835AV

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.