Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a problem with the function keys (f1,...f12). inorder to press a key (such as f2) I have to hold down the "fn" key and press f2. If i don't the primary function of that key would be to darken my screen.

How would it be possable to be able to press the f1 - f12 keys without holding "fn" the whole time, and without their "other" functions happening? Thanks

EDIT: I had just found this link on another topic...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

I will try this first and edit this post again with the results.

EDIT2: The help on the link worked (disabling it in the options on startup). I guess thats it...

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Good job!

Welcome to the HP forums.

HP Recommended

I just received a Pavalion 3010NR netbook from Verizon and the Functions Keys require the FN Key to be pressed to use the F Keys.  This happens even after the Bios was changed to "Enable" Action Keys.  Any ideas on where I can look next?  Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Disabled means you have to use Fn to use F12 etc.

Enabled means you do not have to use Fn to use F12, F5 etc.

• Disabled : Requires pressing fn key + f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action key.
    For example, if Disabled , pressing fn + f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing f11 only will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.
    The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
  • Enabled : Requires pressing only f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action keys.
    For example, if Enabled , pressing f11 only will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.
    The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
HP Recommended
You know... I might be looking at this backward. I'm taking "Enable" as having to only use the F keys for a third-party button. However, it may require disabling the Actions Keys to use the F keys only, and requiring the FN to use the special functions. I'll give this a try when teh netbook comes back in with the sales rep using it. Thanks!
HP Recommended

Agree, it not exactly intuitive when you just look at enable and disable

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.