Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I know it's simple to some of you , but I have a laptop without a manual.  I can't find out how to disable to touchpad since I use a USB mouse.  Please help!  I looked in the settings for the mouse...didn't have anything applicable there. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please see if this document is of any benefit to you...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336150 (Link Updated 04/27/2017)

Disable the TouchPad
On some notebooks, the TouchPad can be turned off by pressing an on/off button located near the TouchPad. If the notebook does not have such an on/off button, you can still disable the TouchPad in its settings control panel.
  NOTE: You will need to use an external mouse or some other pointing device to control the cursor when the TouchPad is disabled.
To disable the TouchPad:
  1. Click Start , enter mouse in the search field, and then select the Mouse control panel program from the search results.
  2. On the Device Settings tab of the Mouse Properties panel, click the Disable button to turn off the TouchPad.
The TouchPad can be re-enabled when needed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You do have manuals for your notebook.

They are all on line at the following link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en...

I suggest you look at the HP Elitebook User Guide for Windows 7 (if that is the OS you have installed) and see if there is any information that will help you.

Paul

HP Recommended

The manual, which I just downloaded and searched, does not contain information on completely disabling the touch pad. The touchpad switch on the ribbon above the number keys disables normal function, but my thumb still can occasionally hit the touchpad and when it does the cursor is repositioned, somewhere else that I dont want it to be. 

I would like to know how to totally disable the touchpad, short of popping the KB off and cutting wires. I am happy to use the pointing stick when I have no mouse to hand (which is never) but the touchpad is nothing more than an annoyance now. 

My other laptop, an Alienware M11x does not have this issue, though it does also have a touchpad. When the softswitch is employed on that one to turn it off, it is off. 

HP Recommended

Please see if this document is of any benefit to you...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336150 (Link Updated 04/27/2017)

Disable the TouchPad
On some notebooks, the TouchPad can be turned off by pressing an on/off button located near the TouchPad. If the notebook does not have such an on/off button, you can still disable the TouchPad in its settings control panel.
  NOTE: You will need to use an external mouse or some other pointing device to control the cursor when the TouchPad is disabled.
To disable the TouchPad:
  1. Click Start , enter mouse in the search field, and then select the Mouse control panel program from the search results.
  2. On the Device Settings tab of the Mouse Properties panel, click the Disable button to turn off the TouchPad.
The TouchPad can be re-enabled when needed.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

That seemed to be the trick. I originally didnt have the Synaptics software on this computer as it is a corporate laptop. I do have admin rights and downloaded the software and installed it. I could not execute the commands as written as they brought up my Logitech SetPoint and not the Synaptics driver. Going into the control panel and clicking on the red logo however, brought me to the point where I had the option to disable the pad, the stick or both. 

I saw those instructions on the site as well but since I didnt have the sofware driver installed, I didnt see what it was pointing to. Now I did so your instructions made sense.

Now, disabling it from the software seemed to do more than touching the icon above the F8 key did. The buttons are still not disabled but my flying thumbs are no longer repositioning my cursor, so my wire snippers will stay stored and my warranty in place. I can deal with active buttons. 

So thanks for the quick reply! It looks like the problem is solved.

Scot

HP Recommended

Hi, Scot:

You're very welcome.

I'm glad that you were able to disable the touchpad w/o resorting to the more draconian method you had comtemplated.  :generic:

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.