Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I understand that you are having a problem running the system file checked, as it is stating that you are not the admin. I have included the following document 'Using System File Checker to Restore System Files', this will walk you through the necessary steps to complete the task.

If this fails to resolve the issue I would need to know the full model number of your computer, as well what version of Windows you are running. I have included the following documents.
'Guide to finding your product number'
'Which Windows operating system am I running?'

Please let me know if this resolves the error message, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Product name: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Product number: WH766AV

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

lj
HP Recommended

Systems File Checker results "Windows resource Protection did not find any intergity violations"

What now?

lj
HP Recommended

Hello LJ2012,

Thank you for the information. I have included the following information from Microsoft for you to try http://bit.ly/ZypTtC. Please follow through the thread, and let me know if you are able to create a new folder after.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I followed these steps and got an error message "specified file is not a registry script & can only import binary registry file within the registry editor" I did change the file from txt to all files when I saved this to the desktop. So what now?

Thanks

lj
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the information. At this point due to the error message that you are getting, I would suggest for now disabling any anti-virus software that you do have installed. Then I have included the following document 'Turn User Account Control on or off'. Please follow the steps for turning off the User Account Control. Once these steps have been completed, try creating a new folder on the desktop again.

Please let me know if you are able to create the folder, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions, but I still can't get the registry fixed. I performed all your suggestions, made a new folder.reg and when I tried to run it I got error msg "Cannot Import c:\user\name\desktop\newfolder.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes." So I closed everything & tried again - got the same error. When I saved this file it didn't give me the option of naming it, it just appeared on the desktop. Guess I need some more advice.

lj
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I have included this forum thread from Microsoft 'Option to create new folder on desktop is missing'. Please follow through the different steps.

Please let me know if you are able to create a folder on your desktop, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.