Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello again jim5840.  

So, when you go to the "Startup" tab of msconfig there is no desktop agent tray or anything that looks similar to that?  Before continue with the steps I outline next I'd like you to verify that you don't see anything resembling that name under either the "Services" or "Startup" tabs.

I still believe that this is an application that is being started when you boot into Windows.  So the next step will be to try using a clean boot to resolve the issue.  A "clean boot" means that Windows will only load its system files when it boots and will not load any applications along with it.  Try the following.

1. Click Start, type "msconfig," and press Enter.
  2. This time you will stay on the "General" tab.
  3. You should see "Selective Startup."  Ensure that this is selected.
  4. De-select "load startup items."
  5. Apply the changes and reboot the notebook.
  6. Post the result.  

I will await your reply; have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

hi followed the next set of instructions and i think that did it. signed on a couple times and the error about the update tray did not come up. hopefully that cleared it up

thank you

jim

HP Recommended

i think that set of instructions worked no update tray error anymore

thank you

jim

HP Recommended

I am glad to hear that this resolved your issue jim5840!  You are very welcome.  If you ever need help in the future make sure to pay the forums a visit.  It is a truly great resource.

Have a great rest of the week!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

Thanks to the man with the little person icon wearing sunglasses.  I can no longer see the other posts to see you name but your advice fixed the stated error as well as another one I was going to look up.  I appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

Hello jtorrie.  I am glad to hear I was able to resolve your issue.  If you have questions in the future I suggest you pay the forums a visit again.  They are a great resource with many helpful members.

Have a lovely week! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you, and I don't see any 'white star' to click under for cudos though?

But ...

It seems to have cured the problem of the 'desktop agent tray has stopped working' notification at startup?

Thanks again ...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.